The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filters no longer stocked?

jesus_ralliart

So, I go to change my oil today. So I buy the five quarts of Mobil 1 and look for the filter.... No K&N and no Mobil 1. So, i drive to three more places and none of them have it.. one of the three was a walmart.. figured id try. Anyone else have this issue? O and I didn't drive to Mitsu because the nearest one is a good 45 min away. So, i ordered the K&N at pepboys.. 20 bucks yuck.

K&N - Hp-1005
Mobil 1- M1-105

Barnes

I was Autozone (I think) several months ago and couldn't find my filter. Went to the guy at the counter and he had them, but they were in the back. So he tells me the price, and it is like half what it should be. Turns out they were clearing them out. Sounds like they decided to stop caring them. So I bought all the ones they had left. Then the local Joe's outdoor store closed down, bought like 8 purolators for super cheap. Hopefully that gets me through for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

One more reason to do a remote oil filter setup. Run anything you like.

gvr4ever

Ya, I had that problem a few months ago. Ended up running purolator pure one. I would run a Napa gold, but our local hee haw store has limited hours and closed on Sunday.

4Grim

Maybe its region because the parts stores around here in Orlando have plenty of filters for 4G63's.

Lonewolf64

I've been having this problem for the better part of a year now. They have stopped stocking the good ole M1-105 oil filter at all the local stores. I'm still able to get it delivered next-day from other areas but I think the supplies are dwindling. Does anyone know if 2g DSM oil filters (the longer thinner ones) fit our cars? If they do could we just use those oil filters?

Brianawd

I just buy Napa gold oil filters. Have for years. Never have a problem getting one.

Part # is 1381

1990ggsxnj

Yes, you CAN use them and are much easier to maneuver with large hands. Not as much filtration surface or reserve, but they work.

Last edited:

I went to Schuck's (O'Reilly's et al) last week and they had a sale going on, 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter for $30. I almost didn't get it because I thought they stopped making our filters, but asked on a whim and they had 2. So they're still floating around, but it wouldn't hurt to grab a few the next time you run into them. I figure that a car will always need an oil change eventually, so one might as well just buy it when it's cheap and not just when one needs it. Buying low and having a stockpile not only saves you bucks but is also super convenient for when you're a week overdue for a change, are about to leave for a 1200 mile vacation, and it's 10:15 on a Friday night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I buy 4 (OEM) filters at a time from JNZ, so I never have to worry about looking for one when I it.

Daryl

onesickcrx

I bought 12 when I bought my car I have put mabe 5000 miles on it since I bought it lol so I have used 4 between two cars lol

Scientist

I only used OEM all our 4 mitsubishi's, never had a problem getting them from the local dealer.

fivestardsm

I couldn't find the thread this was in, but check this out. (If you can stand the dink making the vid.

NSFW due to language.

click

Alos try this one.

click

Last edited:

gtluke

the oem ones are actually pretty shitty filters in comparison to napa gold, purolator pure one, wix, or motorcraft.
and on that note, i used the 99c filters on my car for the last 150,000 miles and have never had an oiling problem. balance shafts still work too. i also used some pretty horrible oil too. mostly cam2, really cheap.
car smokes sometimes and won't pass emissions, but it also has 266,000 miles on it.

i have since started caring this year and started using purolators and penzoil high milage oil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spyke169

That's really odd, because quite a few mitsubishi's use our same filter...

gtluke

you can also use a similar but not exactly the same on.
Like my hyundai uses the same basic filter, but it's narrower. When I run out of filters for either car I'll throw the little on on my galant or the big one on my hyundai. There are 3 or 4 that fit on there. Basically anything mitsu or Hyundai will work.
But I think the one that is called out for our car is the physically largest one, so that's the one I run, hoping for better filtering and more volume.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

All of the filters I've seen backed off have been mobil1 as well- I'm wondering if it's because they use a round o-ring rather than the flat type everyone else uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I stick with the napa/wix/purolator variants. They're proven to be as good if not better than the mobil1/k&n, but cost 1/2 as much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned