The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Diff Oil talk - MITSU DIAQUEEN LSD vs REDLINE SHOCKPROOF

bazeng

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of trying the DIAQUEEN LSD stuff in the xfer case and rear diff.

Anybody here using this oil?

What are the quick guys running (hard launches etc).

I've used REDLINE in the past and it seems good.
I'll be running a mechanical rear lsd in my vr4 and thought that the LSD oil would help otherwise REDLINE and LSD additive may have to do.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

evo8ya

Yes I use it in the t-cases and diffs in both my evo and GVR4. Great stuff!

gtluke

how does a mitsu mechanical diff work? is it clutches?
with a clutched diff you want to run oil with no LSD additive in it at all, something like transmission gear oil. The more LSD additive the more the LSD will slip. That is unless it starts hopping or making noise, then add some until it works smooth. Unless you are getting too much lock in the back and want to settle it down by allowing more slip from the LSD.

With the US rears, it doesn't matter at all what you use since the VCU parts never see the gear oil. So run whatever is on sale in 1 gallon containers.
The transfer case doesn't matter at all either, it's just lube for the gears, run whatever you have laying around.

Find me a mechanical rear diff, I want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Shockproof is better than what ever is laying around, it does take abuse way better. Great for road racing since it won't break down thermally.

Brunoboy

i picked up 3 quarts of amsoil gl4 for my tranny, and Amsoil gl5 for my rear diff.
-shane

gtluke

Quoting prove_it:
Shockproof is better than what ever is laying around, it does take abuse way better. Great for road racing since it won't break down thermally.

Oh yeah, well if you are doing stuff like that you have to take concern.

prove_it

Quoting bazeng:

What are the quick guys running (hard launches etc).

Sounds like he'll be abusing it. oils and fluids will constantly change, currently shockproof is pretty much the standard when it comes to that. Next year though it might be something else. I remember when Shep recommended shockproof in the trans, now we all know that's bad.

As for using a mechanical rear end, it's kinda new and not very common, so it's new territory. Like mentioned before about starting off with not LSD additive and slowly adding more to control chatter is important.

H05TYL

I've been using a mitsi mech lsd for 4 years, 171kW and rear drive only for half of that.
I use straight Castrol LSX 90 and it works fine, no chatter, locks up tight and is consistent under high stress conditions (ie: 3-4 minute burnouts/donuts).

kaptainballistik

Ive got a Cusco, 1.5 in the rear of my car and Ive been wondering if you can use Smurf blood in that ( Thats Redline for you non Rally types....)

Ive just started running Redline heavy in the transfer case and Gearbox, And for once I havent had to top up the transfer case after a rally!

bazeng

LSX 90 hey?

171kw at the rears is good proof!

My 330kw's at all four is only about that at the rears! (I checked the front power vs rear power on the dyno).

The rear LSD I am using is an EVOIII rear mechanical (factory).
I did the centre conversion because I'm also running the 4bolt shafts which are the same size as the EVO's....

I had to use an open 4bolt diff to do it though due to the equal length shafts.

Would it be safe to say that the oil doesn't make that much of a difference?

Seems like there are alot of options out there with good results.

RedTwo

My man with a shop has strongly recommended redline for the mechanical diff.
I need to actually install the mechanical diff before I can give you a real opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Brianawd

I'm running RP 85w140 in the tcase and rear diff. Have been for a few years now. I drain and refill every spring and it always comes out nice and clean with no burnt Smell. The tcase I just broke looked brand new inside and the bearing were perfect.

On a side note I have run Shock proof and it did great to. With the RP I just wanted to try something new.

thecman02

Its got a consistency much like gear oil/melted red crayon. Some serious think stuff. What does your clutchpack lsd call for? I think Shockproof Light covers all the basic weights. Shockproof heavy would best be served in severe uses/hot weather.

bazeng

The clutchpack LSD needs to be able to slip at slow speeds and then lock up at load.

If the oil is too sticky, it will lock up at low speeds and make all sorts of noises (the clutch packs slipping / grabbing)...

There is LSD additive. It is meant to make the oil more slippery...

MitchooO

so wat im getting out of this ( im new to lsd also) is you can run regular gear oil in the clutchpack diff ad it will have easier lock up if you dont put in the addative?

bazeng

Yes, but it will make lots and lots of noise when turning and off the throttle.

It also depends on the lsd's preload / ramp rate etc.

MitchooO

so normal gear oil make it lock more and make more noise while redline gear oil or i saw someone had said about RP was fine and does not make as much noise? im trying to get the best lock without welding the gears in the diff haha... i dont want to do that

H05TYL

use proper lsd oil and add abit of preload and it will be fine.

if you use regular gear oil it can't slip at all, so it effectively behaves like a locked diff (thus defeating the point of having an lsd).

I haven't had any single-spinning (rwd remember) happening, even when doing burnouts in 4th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned