The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Modified 1G Lifters Instead Of 3G Lifters What Do You Guys Think??

Vr4junkie

I just checked out this video about modifying the stock 1G lifter Heres the video>>>>>> click giving a demonstration about the two. click he makes a good point but im no expert.

Are 1G lifters better than 3G lifters I know 3G lifters stop the annoying ticking but whats better for High Horsepower,High Reving engines for those of us who want to rev past 8k RPM.

Last edited:

rdomeck

click

Best of both worlds?

IncorpoRatedX

Lifter talk again??

click

run 1g lifters, don't modify them, do the mod to the head, be done with it. That might work but why go through the trouble of 16 of that, when you can do one simple modification and the problem is gone?

Vr4junkie

Im planning on doing that mod to the head and will be going with this kit which has 3G lifters click is it true what he is saying that it could starve the bottom end I honestly wouldn’t mine the ticking im in it for the reliability.

turbowop

Quoting Alpha Male:
Lifter talk again??

click

run 1g lifters, don't modify them, do the mod to the head, be done with it. That might work but why go through the trouble of 16 of that, when you can do one simple modification and the problem is gone?

None of my 3g lifters tick. I'm not about to pull my head to modify it for something that ain't broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Changing lifters is a hell of a lot easier than pulling the head and porting the oil feed. I agree it might be an awesome mod if you already have the head off the car. Otherwise, there are better options, IMO.

H05TYL

The didn't tick when they were new.

I soaked mine overnight and cleaned them thouroughly and they never ticked again.

boostin4door

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting Alpha Male:
Lifter talk again??

click

None of my 3g lifters tick. I'm not about to pull my head to modify it for something that ain't broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Changing lifters is a hell of a lot easier than pulling the head and porting the oil feed. I agree it might be an awesome mod if you already have the head off the car. Otherwise, there are better options, IMO.

This ^

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting Alpha Male:
Lifter talk again??

click

If you don't want to take off the cylinder head, then yeah, throw some revised ones in. If your engine is apart though, this would be the easier method.

Vr4junkie

The head is off so I will most likely port the oil feed and keep my 1g lifters and just clean them out.

Street Surgeon

Want oil to be in your pan? Put a huge hole in the head and have it drain back into the crank case/block, think that's crazy? There's more than a few people doing this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Couple that with the HLA, ported head oil feeds, blah blah blah.

Vr4junkie

Put a huge hole in my head yea sounds a little more than crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JackstandTSi

This is a lifter question but nothing to do with this thread...and sorry to thread jack but i cant find a solid answer on this and no need to make a whole new thread for a im sure simple answer, But Will 1g 7bolt lifters/arms work in a non Turbo 6-bolt head. Ive been told they are identical other than Cams,manifold studs and Oil feed is blocked. Thank you.

James

Paper clip

tektic

"The head is off so I will most likely port the oil feed and keep my 1g lifters and just clean them out."
+1

G

Staff member
You also could of cleaned your originals or installed brand new OE units with no issues.

Last edited:

James

I thought about cleaning the originals but there wasn't a way to be positive it would work. And replacing with new OE seemed pointless as they were more expensive than the revised ones,

JNR

Dumb question, but what makes the original ones "bad"? Does it get gunked up or something? I don't have any ticking, but curious what the issue is (I'm sure it's been discussed at one time, just may have missed it)

G

Staff member
Their is no such thing as "revised" ones.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned