The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Might be picking up a blown VR4 with spare 6 bolt and drivetrain

Rob_STI_PNW

Hey guys,
Some of the local guys who have VR4s suggested I check out this place. I've had my eye on two VR4s in the area and this one looks like a great project car it has an extra motor and drivetrain.
click

I was thinking I could do a OEM rebuild and use the money I save on Dsm link and possibly a GR green. But I am not sure how much the OEM internals can handle.

This is another one I have been looking at, I went and test drove this one it's not bad, the only concern is the 155k miles on the motor, I know these motors are good, but would it be time for a rebuild? Again fpgreen and tune is what I would want to do right off the bat and go out.

click

I want to build a nice fun street car that I can go in and drive whenever I want.

I am not stranger to building motors and modding cars either.

Thanks for any insight!

GSTwithPSI

Since I'm always looking for a deal, and my time is free, the first car looks like a good option to me. That's based solely from the description, though. I'd need to see pictures before I could really make that call. The parts list compared to the price looks pretty good as long as the stuff isn't in junk condition.

The second car looks decent, but there's plenty not to like. A hood in decent shape is going to run you at least few hundred (assuming you can even source one), then you're still probably looking at paint costs. Also, the damage to the roof is a deal breaker for me. Unless you're a body guy extraordinaire, you'll need to pay someone who knows what they are doing to repair the damage. You're looking at a pretty penny there as well.

SAFCs are garbage, and if I had to guess the car's driveability probably suffers because of it.

The interior looks like a wiring nightmare.

Lastly, I personally wouldn't give a sh*t about the salvaged title, but a lot of people do, and it's definitely going to impact the future resale value if you ever decided to get rid of the car.

My opinion; that car doesn't warrant a 4k price tag. Of the two, the first car seems like a better deal to me.

Rob_STI_PNW

Hey bud,

Thanks for the info, yeah I emailed the guy asking for pics, I might even text him later, no reply yet. I was leaning towards that too.

The 2nd car. I can get a hood actually, I have a buddy who will sell me one, not an issue, the roof, is kind of meh. I swore he said he had DSM link, maybe that was another car I looked at, not sure.
Yeah the guy has like a AEM boost and AFR gauge and like 4 switches for whatever, one of them being a kill switch.

He told me he will go down to 3500, but he might actually go lower maybe even 3k, but even then...
The car's body is extremely clean though for a 25 year old car.

Title isn't an issue if I keep this car for a bit.

How strong are stock internals anyways? Ive seen a few near 400 whp on stock internals, up into the 200k mile range too, which is like, insane.

GSTwithPSI

400whp is easily obtainable on a stock turbo short block. Hell, I'd say it's pretty common these days. There are a few guys here making over those power levels on a stock block, and have been doing so for years. The 4G63 will take tons of abuse. With a good tune and setup, it's capable of lasting a very long time, even in a performance application.

I might be a buyer for car 2 at ~3k. Finding a clean shell is half of the battle, and they are getting harder to come by.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Clean shell ... good bones. Engine and transmissions aren't the issue. Finding a nearly complete, clean shell and interior with good wiring is most of the battle. That only gets you started.
If you are adventurous and capable, you start down the road of converting the systems that held the car back, even when it was first launched. Active toe adjusters, rear steering, and so on.

Find the best shell (if you are lucky, the original interior in great shape) and a drivetrain that is sound. If you have to work your way back (powertrain/drivetrain issues come last), focus on the body/rot/panels/glass.

I would pay considerably more, even asking price or higher than average, if a car has the proper body, maybe even better than most it's age.

IF you get a hold of a budget that affords you a fully modified example, where ABS has been removed, driveshafts and exhaust are upgraded, rear toe is welded up, LSD rear/diffs/center upgraded, then you have to ask yourself what kind of car do you want to have and why. You are going to taylor it to a purpose and you cannot look back. They are many examples of mild to wild and most regret the wild unless they have deep pockets and time, where most of us put in time because we don't have the pckets (but a space in the driveway has 4x quadrapedal indentations in the asphalt surface and they eventually get sorted.

Pick your battle. Do it now, and stick to it. If you can wrench and weld and do body work (or don't care how it looks, motor does the talking) then lean towards a less pristine body and get a modified example to suit your taste and budget.

I honestly think you should consider a 300-400HP motor combination with a fast spooling turbo, short route intercooler setup and work on the suspension setup only once all the basic maintenance has been performed. Then you can upgrade the drivetrain to suit any new found hobbies like autocross or tracking the car. Get a timesplip each season, but I bet you will have way more fun on the open road, while maintaining the ability to keep transmissions alive. Some prefer automatics in a straight line, maybe when fully modified they seem a little more useful on the twisties .. but that is another story and bag altogether.

These cars are old. Most of them are still using 25 year old control arm and drivetrain mounts, with low durometer rubbers! Modifying even the little things like shifter assemblies, cable supports, clutch peripherals, driveshaft supports, transfer case recalls, etc etc, add up fast. I bet if you built the car correctly, if just with a list of what the guys here would do if they had to do it all over again, would be more than the purchase price of the used cars posted here, and that is just the small stuff that makes them so much more enjoyable to drive.

I'm rambling, but figure if you want someone to say what most are thinking (to some degree), then I've just put some of it down on paper.

There are some many parts on an AWD car, that things can add up quickly. This is meant to scare you. This is the reality of buying a car without knowing it history, intimately. You can get lucky like some did here, but this site didn't evolve and offer advice from so many smart and eclectic people because the cars were easy to work on and keep running properly. Once the car is sorted, I said once it is, then you will have a car that may just only need the routine maintenance intervals for timing equipment and oil/filters, but as it gets more highly modified, you will be up and down like a rollercoaster. They can and will last a long time, but you have to put in the time and money. You also have to stick to your plan. Don't be the guy that unknowingly buys a rusted hulk with a boatload of undocumented spares, basically a project that someone else knew they could never achieve glory with. I am very skeptical of cars and random parts. You would be best to get some local help when viewing a car, because they know what to look for and seriously, consider paying for their help even if the buy doesn't pan out. Lots of good/great/awesome cars come through the for sale section here. Fall is probably the best time to purchase a car that someone doesn't want to store anymore, and or may have a documented build here on the site; it the guy with little to hide. You may pay more, you may not. Timing, and circumstances and how you approach the seller.

I think if you perform all the necessary work the chassis and suspension require, and maintenance, you will easily pay two to three times the cost of acquisition and you should be happy with that. That is your 5-10K car, with decent paint.

If you have owned recent Subaru's then you know their issues like the back of your hand. Now add old wiring, timing tensioners of non-OEM origin, lots of out of production parts, and seat seams that let go when you fart (extreme case) and you have the tip of the iceburg. These cars have personality just like the Sube's, but require the same level of attention, if not more. Also, keeping transaxles alive for lengthy periods is subject to pedal boxes with no slop, shifter overhauls and power levels and the correct combination of clutch activation peripherals - for which there are solutions at hand/point click. Subaru isn't likely having shortages of gearbox internals, for which I know many have grenaded, but Mitsu is running into this now, Because 25/27 Years Old+ depending upon your market area.

IMHO.

Last edited:

Rob_STI_PNW

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom, found out today that the non running car #1, has been sold, which is too bad, I was actually considering that one too.

I still gotta sleep on the 2nd one though 3500, and even if I get it down to 3k is still a bit. Like I said 155k is what scares me on that. But if that is peanuts compared to what some people have and the amount of power they throw down, then I am not worried...

Yes I have been into Subarus for a bit, been a gear head and wrench turner on cars for a very long time actually. I love and hate Subarus, I had a 05 STI that I traded in for my 2015 WRX, Ive modded both, but having it as a daily driver means I cant go balls out on it, that is where the VR4 comes in.

I wouldnt mind a Talon or even a Eclipse, but I would prefer the 'sleeper' VR4 look to be honest.

The hood is missing and there are dents in the roof from when the hood flew up on the 2nd one, besides that, the car, bodywise is in very very very good shape, I was rather impressed, the paint is still good looking and everything!

There was another one I looked at today, the car wouldnt start unless I gave it gas and it immediately started knocking as I revved the car at neutral/idle. So I had to pass on that for sure, he wanted 3k and would not budge.

Still looking though!

Tisquantum

Rob,
Sorry man! 221/2000 listed in Johnson Creek is my baby now. TheDSMGuys in Vancouver have her now given her some love. Just cause I am a nice guy, you may want to jump on the other one MUCH sooner than later. My fiance will want it after her first ride in mine.

Just for what it is worth: given that lots of the foundation upgrades had already been done, she is getting a used MHI Big16g, the biggest short routed FMIC I can find, timing belt, water pump, tensioner and all associate parts. They are also throwing the 2600 and flywheel, relocating the battery.

For all you vets: I plan to shot for around 420whp after a new turbo on this long block, should I eleminate the rear steering and toe? I was hoping to keep it up to around 400whp, but I don't want to wreck my sh*t either. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned