The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Max Boost On Stock SMIC

Diego

So me and my brother coolclean577 are having a debacle... stock side mount,.. how much boost can it take...

I say 15 pops the piping straight off... he says 25 is possible as he ran it in his 1g built gsx... but I say he had a supra sidemount.... who's right
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Barnes

I think 25psi is okay. I *know* you can run it past 15psi.

I was running 19 pounds on mine. Lots of heat soak, but it never came apart. The factory hoses blew up, but isn't that expected?

I ran 22psi thru my old talons stock side mount. This was on a turbo off a chevy. But I was not running stock piping. I had homemade piping and silicon couplers.

steve

Please use meaningful thread titles... and also, I don't think you know what a debacle is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting steveGLS:
and also, I don't think you know what a debacle is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe it's a rhubarb or a brouhaha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

I didn't know my car came with a SMIC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But, I would also be very surprised if whatever IC it you have couldn't structurally handle 20+psi. Whether or not it can keep things cool at that level is another story.

Diego

Its a tiny side mount... like what you find stock on 1gs in the passenger fender well.

But its mounted in the front so it is a fmic I guess, but its still a small i/c like on 1gs.

Even the small 1g's and 2g's are bigger than our dinky IC's. I was running 13 spiking to 15psi all day in my 2g GSX with no issues. That's also pretty low boost.

belize1334

Quoting Diego:
Its a tiny side mount... like what you find stock on 1gs in the passenger fender well.

But its mounted in the front so it is a fmic I guess, but its still a small i/c like on 1gs.

I'm aware of where/what the stock FMIC is. I was being sarcastic... My point remains the same however. The max boost isn't dictated by what the stock intercooler can physically withstand but rather what it can effectively cool. And therein lies the problem since the stock FMIC was WAY TOO SMALL even for the stock 10psi. It's significantly smaller and less effective than the 1G/2G SMIC. You could probably remove it completely and reroute with no intercooler and the benefits of short-route might outweigh the loss of the FMIC. It's that crappy.

I'm not so sure about that. When I cracked my first front mount(high curbs suck), I ran a connector pipe in place of it so I could get it home. It drove like my old NT 1G, but far less responsive.

^Again, sarcasm failure. The point is the stock intercooler is not adequate for stock boost levels on Galants under certain conditions. In the heat of the summer down here on a stock car I would see knock from heatsoak after 1 pull on a stock boost level car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts