The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Massive leak when charging system

When I charge the system (was already converted to 134 by a previous owner) the charge is leaking out somewhere.

You can hear it hissing away. It loses about a can a minute. There is a puddle of r134 oil on the ground. I have not been able to pinpoint the leak and don't want to spend 12 bucks a can trying to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks!

stevep

Usually you vacuum the system to find the leaks since it's much cheaper and you really need to get all the air and moisture out before charging it anyway.

I have always taken a gamble on charging systems without "doing it the right way" and it has usually paid off. Could you please expand on this vacuum thing. I am pretty broke and would like to know how to do this on a budget yet own a device if affordable so I can take care of this myself.

Am I just listening for a leak when it is pulling a vacuum? I am pretty crappy at finding leaks. Also, is there any area of the A/C system that is prone to leaking like the compressor itself?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry Posten

Get the pressurised can with the fluorescing die. Then use a black light to see the leak, it will paint a pretty trail right to the leak.

Wow! I tried this. I got a flashlight with a UV light so I don't need the glasses. Ended up being right at the back of the compressor. It is like a bolt is missing from the compressor or something. I am sold on this method!!

Thanks!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Sounds like the blowout valve is missing. There's a high pressure blowout valve on the back of the compressor. The tread is freakishly unusual & they're over $100 new. You can try your luck @ a junk yard & pull one from another galant. If you can get more than one get it. It doesn't have to be from a gvr4. I'm not sure if one from a DSM will work or not. Oh yeah, it has to be pulled & installed from under the car. If I recall correctly, you need a 12mm wrench to undo it it. A ratchet wrench will work best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned