The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Maniac Alternator's - Good?

tsitalon1

Looks like after I've fixed my A/C and bypassed the A/C fan resistor, my Alternator, can't quite keep up with the load.

Looking at buying an Maniac Alternator and wanted to see if how many here have had good luck with them. It's about $70 more than a premium 90 amp Bosch Alternator from Napa, but of course the maniac is 150 amps.

The one year warranty somewhat concerns me, anone having good luck with this brand?

Last edited:

prove_it

The only alternators that will take the heat of exhaust are OEM and really really well rebuilt oem. Aftermarket units have cheap solder and will fail. I tried an AC delco and it lasted 1 month.

Also unless you have a huge stereo, you don't need more than 90 amps anyway.

ktmrider

Did you bypass the fan resistor for any specific reason?!? I got one at Vatozone for $15 and it cured my high current pull issues.

I have a good local rebuilder that uses high quality parts, mainly the VR, plus will re-wind the unit for higher output. Rebuild, rewind, lifetime warranty for $120. No rewind = $75.

Not sure where you're located but worth poking around if time permits.

tsitalon1

Before A/C rebuild, My A/C was noticeably warmer when sitting at a light, versus moving (40-70mph)

Since the A/C rebuild (new compressor, drier, full vacuum evac and reload) I thought it would be best to keep the A/C fan at high speed to improve A/C performance.

I did contact a local alternator rebuild shop, still waiting to hear back from them. If your guy can provide me with a 120-150amp alternator for $150 with shipping I wouldn't mind that. I could even pay the core up front and ship it back after install.

How much experience do you have with his work? Trust him? Ever had to use the warranty?

tsitalon1

Quoting prove_it:
The only alternators that will take the heat of exhaust are OEM and really really well rebuilt oem. Aftermarket units have cheap solder and will fail. I tried an AC delco and it lasted 1 month.

Also unless you have a huge stereo, you don't need more than 90 amps anyway.

Wouldn't mind this either, but mitsubishiparts.net only lists the 75amp version...

ktmrider

Quoting tsitalon1:
I did contact a local alternator rebuild shop, still waiting to hear back from them. If your guy can provide me with a 120-150amp alternator for $150 with shipping I wouldn't mind that. I could even pay the core up front and ship it back after install.

How much experience do you have with his work? Trust him? Ever had to use the warranty?

I've done two MMC alternators thru them. The local DSM community has at least 10+ units over the past 5 years, no failures of any kind. So no on using the warranty but in a good way LOL.

Here is their website: click

So long as I'm in town I'll help no problem. Give them a jingle tho as my work travel schedule is pretty bleak these days ( but it's a job and a good one at that ). Worst case one of the local Dizzum cru would likely be able to assist.

Last edited:

tsitalon1

Still weighing my options....

Local shop wants $150 with 12months warranty

Napa has their Premium 90 amp model for $197 with lifetime warranty...seems ~$45 more than their standard model, so maybe the cost difference is in the VR...

Napa would be more convienient since they are everywhere and generally have a higher parts reliability history than AutoZone, Oreilly's, or Advanced Auto. At lease thst's my experience.

Do I really need more than 90 amps to run a stock GVR4 with both cooling fans on high speed with the lights on?

prove_it

I take it you don't care about having a breakdown and swapping alternators over and over and over and over and over again?

raptorWagon

Subaru guys love the Maniac Electric alternators. A lot of Subbie Alts are made by Mitsubishi lol.

tsitalon1

Quoting prove_it:
I take it you don't care about having a breakdown and swapping alternators over and over and over and over and over again?

Of course I do not want those hassles, that's why I'm not targeting the $100 alternators.

But how can I tell if a local shop $150 alternator is any better than a $200 Napa Premium alternator?

I did talk to JNZ, and while they do claim to be able to get an oem 90 amp model, it is also remaned, and I was specifically told the warranty process through the dealer can be awful! especially if not dealer installed.

So you tell me....

$200 Napa premium with Lifetime warranty
$150 local shop with 12 month warranty
$268 Maniac 140 amp with 12 month warranty
$120 New Mexico shop from KTM's area with lifetime warranty

Should we vote? LOL.

cheekychimp

I'd go the New Mexico route if Mike can vouch for 10 units. It doesn't sound as if you have anyone who can vouch for any of the others except when used on different cars and we know the issue with our alternators is their proximity to the exhaust manifold, turbo, O2 housing and downpipe. If Mike can vouch for 10+ units that have lived for up to 5 years in the OEM location that would sell it for me.

Last edited:

tsitalon1

Ok, I agree.

Even though they are not local. Mike's recommendation is to strong to ignore.

Mike, I'll call that shop in the morning to order one, shall I use you as a reference?

turbowop

The *new* Bosch units I've always used have held up well. They're the lower amp DSM version, but work fine with my car that still has AC and a stereo, etc. Lifetime warranty and they even include two years free towing if it goes bad.

prove_it

Quoting tsitalon1:
Ok, I agree.

Mike, I'll call that shop in the morning to order one, shall I use you as a reference?

I hope you can give us a long term update in the future, cause I do like the idea of spending less than a new OEM. Plus I got several junkers laying around I can send in to get rebuilt.

I bought my oem alternator 3 yrs ago, no issues. I even got the 90A one, not sure why everyone else has had issues.

ktmrider

Quoting tsitalon1:
Ok, I agree.

Sure or reference the DSM community. They know us pretty well and will be able to tell you just how much they can bump the amps ( most go 100A but I'm sure they'll know the limits ).

Worst case if they don't want to deal with shipping drop me a PM, should be around for at least another week.

alansupra94

Honestly, when we changed my friend's alternator for the 4th time, I told him to make a cheap heatshield to prevent the alternator from cooking up. 2 years later, it is still running like a charm.

Tis' my $.02.

tsitalon1

Just to keep this thread updated.

The alternator I bought from the start shop just died.

Car ran out of electricity while driving which points to alternator. I've replaced the battery just for the sake of it and even with a new battery my voltage is only 11.5v.

I'll be contacting the start shop tomorrow AM. I'm somewhat disappointed and unsure I want then to fix it.. I don't want to have to get it rebuilt yearly. In this case it only lasted 10 months with an 02 housing factory heat shield and a evo316g.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Lol, no one even mentioned a denso 90 amp unit. Newbs.

desant78

I used the NAPA re-built one for $200, and its worked great so far since november. Kinda got screwed with the standard threads (or different metrics) threads on the alternator. I just cross-threaded the ground, and found a proper random nut, and was good to go!

I did find that my alternator issues were completely due to a power steering leak killing them. I run a 3" DP off a e3 16g.

slugsgomoo

there's actually quite a bit of discussion on the dsmlink forums about using the higher output saturn alternators on these cars because especially at higher RPM & power levels, even the 90 amp alternator isn't able to deliver great power to the fuel pump, even after a re-wire.

Personally if you're not running a heat shield or some sort of wrap you're going to have a bad time, but the biggest killer even more so than heat is leaking PS pumps...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned