The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Slight Overheat on Hwy - need input

marvinmadman

There are 2 stant/Murray models. 1 sh*t and 1 good/better than OEM. You have to ask for it in the stores because their default is to give you the cheapest sh*t. I've ran these and have had NO failure or issues.

turbowop

Quoting Jason G.:
Quoting G:
Stant is good, lot's of experience with them on different platforms. The no name duralast's are the ones you have to watch out for.

I just pulled a sh*t Stant out of my DSM that was rated for 180* but ran more like 220*. Switched it out with Mitsu part and fixed. The opening is just as small on the Stant as it is all the other sh*t t-stats.

I've had several negative experiences with Stants. It's $17 for a dependable Mitsu t-stat that won't close up on you, no reason to cheap out on it.

I ran into the same issue with the 180 Stant I got from English Racing. No issues since replacing it with an OE 180 tstat, which is what I ran in the IMSCC comp.

G

Staff member
Quoting marvinmadman:
There are 2 stant/Murray models. 1 sh*t and 1 good/better than OEM. You have to ask for it in the stores because their default is to give you the cheapest sh*t. I've ran these and have had NO failure or issues.

Exactly, don't buy the cheap one. Buy the more expensive one and you won't have any problems. This is if you're in a pinch and can't wait for oe.

turbowop

Quoting marvinmadman:
Was it the one I posted or the cheaper unit?

I have no idea. Could have been the cheaper unit. Lucas says they use them all the time, but the one I got from him sucked. My temps were really inconsistent using it. When I compared it to the OE unit, the OE unit had a much larger opening. The OE unit is much heavier as well. Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marvinmadman

I've measured OEM and these ultra stats side by side. Ultra stat was a little bigger and quality was on par with the OEM stat.

marvinmadman

Do not use the Stant Superstat. Use the Murry Ultrastat. It's blatantly obvious. I needed to put this somewhere.

presterone

My car runs hot when doing a hard pull with a new mitsu t stat. I think it has to do I with this civic half sized radiator maybe?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned