The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lets see how this goes.......

rdomeck

I have been on a few out of town trips on my own, but the first with the family in the VR4. Wife is skeptical that it will make the trip. I am not of course, hopefully! She thinks this because the car has spent more time in my shop than me driving it. It's only left me stranded twice. Once for a broken timing belt 400 miles after purchase and once for a bad alternator and that time I put a jump box on it and drove it back to the shop!

Will see how it does with about 300-350 miles on it today!

misterfixit

Good luck,

My wife sometimes says the same about my galants. but lately she has started to take a likening to them. We took the Dd to France and Belgium last summer. Looks like i was more worried than she /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich

VR_IV_MR

my girlfriend does the same

edit: nevermind, I found that your using a custom fab evo 9 ohlin setup

Last edited:

matt92vr4

I've learned to simply assume we are going to break down. Then if we make it, its a bonus.

rdomeck

Matt, That sounds like the mentality of an early british car owner.

We made the trip just fine with no hick ups! Kinda wish the Ohlins were a little softer on there softest setting, but they are still not bad considering what they are.

turbowop

I find I have fewer issues if I load up a bag of tools and throw it in the trunk. Forget to do that and something is bound to go wrong, lol.

cheekychimp

I don't think a bag of tools is enough weight to take the edge off the Ohlins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

theevozero

I drive my vr4 daily. I drove it back and forth to school, from Texas to Wyoming and back, several times. Its never been on a tow truck. 278k miles later. It's still kick it, strong.

matt92vr4

Oh man, you are in trouble now. You better knock on some serious wood!

ducttapeguy

I recently patched mine together in the parking lot of my barracks and then drove it from upstate NY to central TX. Had a few stops along the way, and replaced some parts and worked out bugs with help of fellow board members, but over all I didnt have any major issues. I think it was something like 1400 miles over a week and a half.

transparentdsm

Upstate NY to Texas wow thats a drive and try more like 1900 miles, im a big traveler and used to spend lots of time on the road.

I've been daily driving 1365 like 140 + miles a day, 6 days a week and the only problem i've had is the same recurring one that i haven't had time to fix properly. i have a rusted rear power steering line that drips. Every thousand miles or so i have to refill it. I actually just parked the car like 3 or 4 days ago so i don't drive it till i had the time to fix it properly.

Like it has been said many times on this site before, the car is as reliable as it's owner and his maintenance technics and upkeep abilities. If you take care of your car it will go anywhere. I'd feel comfortable driving either 1365 or 138 anywhere in the country. I pride myself on how well i take car of my cars and to me regular upkeep is so much fun to do. One of my favorite things to do is pull all the belts and the timing components off to inspect and clean and reinstall. I don't know why, but i love that stuff, that and figuring out vacuum lines in cars after they have been ripped out or broken in half.

theevozero

Well, owning a daily modified vr4 does not come without its hickups. Mine seems to like eating 4th gear, twice now in 7 months, but I'm not blaming the car for this. But it does still have the original short block. Its never been pulled out since I've had the car. I've replace the turbo once because I had to(worn out). Thats about it, everything else has been regular stuff(hoses, coolant, fluids, plugs, etc....)and of course unnecessary upgrades. These things will go anywhere.

JNR

Yeah, never hesitated taking mine anywhere and it enjoyed a few road trips up north and a couple jaunts to the mountains. After I work out the bugs (been sitting for a few years and did a few other upgrades), I also expect it to be able to do the same. My only gripe is the clutch is super stiff and not adjusted properly (it engages right off the floor). Car is tastefully modified pretty well (~450 hp), but wouldn't go wild with it either and expect it to do much more than be a headache, lol.

rdomeck

I at least carry a screw driver and some wrenches with me. Taking it out of town again today.......I like this whole "VR4 is running and driving thing!" It makes me happy......

rdomeck

Another trip successful!!! Installed new stereo last night. I think I'll keep driving this thing....It's a fun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned