The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LED retrofits

Anyone retrofitted LED's for their interior lights?

I want to change them into LED's but im not sure how to do it. I know i can buy those LED's strips, LED boards, etc... but do i just need to strip the wires of the old ones and connect them?

Anyone has a write up specifically for our vehicles i can follow?

524of1000

Search the Tech section. There is a write up in there somewhere.

boostedinaz

I bought some LEDs to put in the door lights and the map lights. They were okay but I wasn't really happy with the outcome.

The main problem is that, while LEDs are bright, the light is very focused in one direction. For doors you want the light to spread out but with LEDs it just kinda "shoot" straight out from the lens cover.

vtecds1

I've seen the ones at Harbor freight for fairly cheap but you don't get much...But If you know how to solder, I recommend buying a 16ft strip and go to town with it. I recently did my boat and spend roughly $70. It came in a 16ft roll, dimmer and waterproof. The pics doesn't do it justice as it is super bright. Flashlights are not even allowed in the vessel no more.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting DR1665:
This is how I did my instrument cluster with dual color LEDs. Sadly, I've not installed the cluster since the night I took those pictures. Still seems a bit more work will be needed to better illuminate the needles, but nothing anyone handy with a soldering iron couldn't handle.

Hope this helps.

Sweet! Thanks for the ref/write up.

This should get me started. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alainb7

I did it, I buy my LED at v-leds.com

I think I made a tread on the forum maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Alainb7

I can`t find it, but here is the result and bulb I used.

I use LED FOR Everything exept Headlight, I order 9005 LED for headlight, but it only for Show, it is dangerous to use them on road.

Door LED

Roof LED

Interior at total darkness with LED roof on

Cluster

Climate control

Autometer with LED retrofit

Corner light

Parking and stop light

V-LEDS.com LED I use for Parking light, Corner light, Cluster, AUtometer gauge and climate control

Flasher

V-LEDS.com LED I use for Backup, Flasher & Parking/brake

Last edited:

Barnes

Do these have that instant on-off action? Like you see on cars with LED lights from the factory? That is the main reason I'd be interested in LED bulbs. I love the way the lights don't lazily come on and off.

Alainb7

Yes.

You have to change the flashes relay for an Electronic one because regular relay made flasher flash almost Like a stroboscope!

There is no fade in, fade off effect as regular bulb. LED is on or off, there is no fade.

Specter

I have leds in the cluster just as yours, same color, and the result is same too. I think its a bit dark/dull than the stock bulbs. What do ya say?

Barnes

Quoting AlainB7:
Yes.

You have to change the flashes relay for an Electronic one because regular relay made flasher flash almost Like a stroboscope!

There is no fade in, fade off effect as regular bulb. LED is on or off, there is no fade.

Sweet, do you have information on the specific blinker relay to use?

Alainb7

Quoting Specter:
I have leds in the cluster just as yours, same color, and the result is same too. I think its a bit dark/dull than the stock bulbs. What do ya say?

I take these picture with my iPhone, here is one I take after install with a digital camera, you see better. The intensity is better than regular bulb.

Thanks for the info!

Are the LED's on the instrument cluster/HVAC able to dim using the stock dashboard dimmer? Or did you put different dimmer switch in place?

Specter

Quoting AlainB7:
Quoting Specter:

I take these picture with my iPhone, here is one I take after install with a digital camera, you see better. The intensity is better than regular bulb.

Yes now that makes the result much more clear. Can you explain how many leds did you use for the cluster? What i did was, i modified the stock bulb housing and fitted a 2mm led with a small resistor in there. I guess my leds are too small.

Alainb7

If you look at the picture with the only 4 led I put, the first is the one I tok to replace the cluster bulb and the second led is the one I use for climate control.

Now it look that they have more choice in LED and the LED with difusing lens is a bit different, but use them. click

When installing, just be shure that they are on god side for polarity because if positive lead is not on positive contact, LED will not light up.

Just have to replace existing #194 bulb for "#194 2 BLUE 1.5W LED BULBS W/ DIFFUSING LENS item" they came in 2 pack for 15$

Last edited:

Specter

Yeah i know the polarity thing, my cluster aint that bright, must be because of the small leds. Thanks for sharing this brother, i will make another attempt on it.

DR1665

Nice work, gentlemen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned