The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lean Question (update 2/14/13)

5OF2k

Quoting nemovr4:
Well after getting new spark plugs, new spark plug wires and rebuilt ecu (caps and socket), also adjusted the fuel pressure back up to 46 it seems to be running a lot better.

AFR is 15+/- at idle and driving on the highway...still a little high but now I have to think seriously about getting ecmlink so I can get the kinks worked out.
Thanks for the input guys!

-Chris

I agree with james, and STILL think you should replace your fuel filter too. K.I.S.S.

Also, that amount of fuel pressure is way too much. 38-41 baseline is all youll need on pumpgas.

-Jake

nemovr4

I am ordering a new fuel filter and some other small parts from Rockauto tonight, I want to finish running the fuel in the tank o put the new filter in. But but it is on my list!

Also looking for ecmlink v3...if you know anyone selling on I would love to know. I will be ordering from ecmlink.com if I can't find something soon, but I would love to get it for cheaper, and possibly help someone out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Which will be worse higher fuel pressure or the higher AFR I was having??

nemovr4

Quoting James:
I don't think the kink is in the electronics... You still have something mechanically wrong restricting fuel.

Also I have some good RC550's just need time to get them in...can I just buy some O-rings from home depot to replace the old ones on my fuel injectors. After I get the fuel filter and new injectors I will see what happens...

FlyingEagle

Staff member
O-rings from Home Depot = a big NO.

Everything in your fuel system has be fuel resistant type rubber, likely VITON for seals.

Injector O-rings for the rail hook-in are cheap, as are the base rubber pieces that hook in at the head.

click
img.php

FIC's
click
img.php

Rochesters listed just down the page:
click

nemovr4

^^Awesome, thanks for the links!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

-Chris

nemovr4

Changing the fuel filter this weekend, I will also test the injectors.
To answer the above question, No egr blocked off.

Also should I worry about pushing my fuel pressure up to 46 like I have done? It seems to have helped a lot, so unless ther is a huge problem with that for now I will keep it there for this week. I am also getting V3 installed this weekend so I should be able to get some real tunning done finally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5OF2k

when you replace your fuel filter it's going to run like poop at 46psi, super super rich and nasty. As previoously stated, a few times, 38-41 PSI is ALL you need.

-Jake

nemovr4

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean for it to seem like I didn't listen to your advice. I raised it to 40 and the afr started getting better but was still running pretty lean, so I kicked it up to 48 and it was a little too much. After a litle mor adjusting and driving I found 46 was just about as good as it was going to get, for now...
I will update after I replace the fuel filter and check/clean injectors. Also I will be able to get more accomplished when I get the v3 installed..

I was just curious if this higher fuel pressure will cause any major problems for the next week or two.??

-Chris

5OF2k

No problem, Chis. It should be ok for a while. Get the filter replaced asap though, and keep an eye out for it to suddenly spike up if the restriction happens to work itself loose or something like that.

-Jake

nemovr4

Yeah I should be getting the new fuel filter today, but I won't be able to install it till the weekend.

I have had my eyes, and ears open since I started driving it haha. I have a checklist before and after I get in the car...I need to be as careful as possible since this is currently my only car...

Thanks for the heads up though!

-Chris

nemovr4

Okay so on my way home tonight my AFR started to go back up to the 16-17 range. I haven't changed anything fuel pressure is still at 46.

Suggestions?

James

Have you done a boost leak test? Maybe you have a lot of unmetered air getting in somewhere.

nemovr4

Yes, I did a boost leak test and held very well till 25psi. That was 2 weeks ago so it is possible that I developed a new leak..but I fixed the only one I could find at the time..maybe I will do another one before I install V3 this weekend.

5OF2k

Im telling you man, you've got a fuel delivery issue. Your filter is the most likely cause. I GUARANTEE you'll fix the problem by replacing the fuel filter and/or installing those 550s.

THe problem is intermittent because you still havent remedied it. Its not something thats going to fix itself, yknow?

Replace your fuel filter

Reset your fuel pressure between 38-41psi

Install and compensate your injectors(with link)

Done.

-Jake

nemovr4

(OP)
Quoting nemovr4:
How lean is too lean?
From a cold start my car runs fine...relatively. Usually AFR #'s around 14.8 to 15.5. However once it has warmed up It runs around high 16's to 18.
I understand this is pretty vauge and could produce more info when needed..(to the best of my newbie knowledge) I have already done a boost leak test and came up with only a small leak on the BOV gasket. Held all the way up to 20psi...
As far as upgrades I use a lazy-Z pipe to carry the air to the turbo. The turbo is a standard 16g, Standard throttle body. Port-matching and cleanup of intake manifold runners, Ported head with HKS 264 Intake cam HKS 272 exhaust cam, Standard valves and pistons. Also has adjustable fuel-pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge, and wide-band O2 sensor.
No form of engine management...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so Update is: I have changed the wires and spark plugs, refurbished my ECU (added socket for ECMlink, which is coming today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), new fuel filter, and used my 'high tech' screwdriver stethoscope to check if the injectors were working (all four appeared to be working fine)...I will be replacing the injectors with RC550's this weekend.

Any one have any more suggestions that would point towards my crappy AFR??

I guess it might also be worth doing a more indepth boost leak test...Any uncommon places I could be getting extra air once the engine is up to running temp??

Thanks so far!!

-Chris

nemovr4

No, but I was under the impression that that just controlled idle speeds... VFAQ BISS 1G but after looking at this I will check.
Is that the correct link, or does it differ at all between the GVR4 and a 1G DSM??

EHmotorsports

should be the same. if anything it will help to have it set when tuning

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned