The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lancer coilovers

Fish

Stupid noob question but does anyone know if coilovers from an 02 Lancer (not evo) will fit on our cars? I'd be ok if they need a few minor mods to make them fit.

The reason I ask is I found a set at a local pick n pull for under 100 dollars. They are Megan racing coilovers. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Branden

citymunky

click

You mean these? If I was you, I'll would buy them and try. If you fail you can still sale them for more than you paid for them. Win, win in my book.

Fish

That was my thought, even if I end up completely destroying them I'm only out about 90 dollars plus my time (worth basically nothing). And that was just a generic picture in your link, they look more like this.

Fish

I just went and got them from the junkyard and they look pretty close to just being bolt on. The backs are actually a two bolt pattern instead of a three like in the picture so that's nice.

I'll probably get around to test fitting them tomorrow. Not too bad for 97 dollars in my opinion.

EMX5636

Keep this updated. It's always nice to have a couple more options/adaptations for our cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fish

So as far as the fronts go, they are basically bolt on. The upper mount bolt pattern is different so two holes will need to be drilled in the strut tower in order for them to fit. I haven't done it yet but don't see any harm in doing so as long as it all gets painted to keep the rust away. Does anyone see any problem with drilling another two holes?

The backs are a completely different story though. The upper mount pattern is exactly the same as the gvr4. But they are about seven inches two short to reach the lower mount so I'm not really too sure on what to do for that. I was considering making some type of spacer but am still trying to figure out the best way to approach it.

As always I'm open to ideas and have lots of spare time to kill.

Thanks
Branden

prove_it

Well we will need pics to help figure it out. Drilling out the front mount bolts is the same as what us EVO top hat users do. No issue there at all. There is a write up on installing the EVO style top hats. Follow that. Same thing.

The rears could be an issue. Like I said, I need pics to put my brain around it.

tektic

makes sense. The lancer is fwd. Your going to need longer strut bodies. probably no way around that. You should contact manufacturer for parts that fit a galant or 1g eclipse. Maybe you could still use the rest of the setup with new struts. If there not outrageous your still ahead of the game in price.

Fish

Sorry for the late response on this, right after my last post I found out the woman was cheating on me (story for another day). Anyway, do you guys think for the rears I could possibly get just the bottom for a dsm coilover and put it on my lancer coilover? Is that what tektic was suggesting?

This weekend I'm going to try to get some motivation and put the fronts on so I'll post some pictures of that when it's all together. The stock rear struts are rusted on at the bottom bushing so I'll probably end up destroying them when I take them off. If that's the case I want to have something to put in their place since I drive the car a few times a week.

So if anybody has an idea on where to get the bottom piece for these I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone
Branden

prove_it

We still need pics to help you more better like.

Fish

So I don't know what the hell, I take a picture of these and try to post it up. It won't let me and I keep getting an error code. I can't seem to figure it out.

I can upload any one of my old pictures but whenever I try to take a new one and post it I get the same error code. I've tried with my home computer and my cell phone. What am I doing wrong?

Anyway, I did find this link click . It has all the specs and an actual picture of what the rears look like. From a quick measurement they are just about 8 inches shorter than the stock rear struts.

tektic

Call Megan Racing directly and ask them what you need to make it work with a awd eclipse or galant. thats it.
Then pay them cuz it's worth it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Fish:
So I don't know what the hell, I take a picture of these and try to post it up. It won't let me and I keep getting an error code. I can't seem to figure it out.

I can upload any one of my old pictures but whenever I try to take a new one and post it I get the same error code. I've tried with my home computer and my cell phone. What am I doing wrong?

Probably the file size. It is limited, so you may have to change the size before uploading.

prove_it

That's always my issue. File size.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned