The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

knock sensor question

Tre3zy

well im planning on replacing my knock sensor becuase of phantom knock.... need some instruction on how to do it....

Dan D

I prefer to get at it from below. Disconnect the battery, Unplug it form behind the manifold, Pull the downpipe off and reach up past the d-side axle with a big wrench. If you drop the transfer case out of the way it is even easier. Don't overtighten when installing the new one.

Barnes

+2 for under the car. Sucks to have to pull the DP, but WAAAAAY easier to get to. Plus you can actually see it. I'll also emphasize what was said above: do not over tighten the sensor.

Quoting Dan D:
Disconnect the battery

This is the most important part! You will get very close to the starter connections when wrenching it!

Barnes

Oh snap! Forgot about that, thanks Keydiver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tre3zy

damn!!!! so much work for just a sensor but gotta do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif thnx for the info and directions guys....

Brunoboy

when you gunna do it Triz?? I am gunna do mine as well. Hey guys, when you say dont over tighten, how tight should it be?

Snug, usually when I go to tighten it i use a shorter wrench so that there isn't so much leverage, tighten and maybe ad an 1/8th turn

Wizardawd

7.4 ft lbs is spec for the knock sensor. I'd try using a crows foot with a torque wrench.

Too tight and the sensor becomes too sensitive, ie...phantom knock.

Wiz

Last edited:

Barnes

Imdrax, do you have the intake manifold bracket still in place on your engine?

Quoting imdrax:
I can EASILY get to it from the passenger side above. Literally in about 1 min.

What tool are you using? Did you clip the wire off and just put a deep socket on it? The starter makes getting a wrench on the sensor difficult but I suppose a ratchet could work.

Why are these guys hating on the 1g sensor? AEM forum thread here.

Tre3zy

this is wat i did:

drop the downpipe
disconnect the intake mani bracket
then use a open end wrench to pull it out and put the new one in

I can also reach mine from the top of the vehicle, but i have the battery in the trunk, custom intercooler piping, and the cyclone Mani. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can reach my arm down behind the motor and get at it with an open ended wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:

My exhaust was already off so I hit it from the bottom with a 23mm socket after I cut the wire off and bent that tab in, then I put a little blue (med) loctite on the new one.

Quoting Wizardawd:
7.4 ft lbs is spec for the knock sensor. I'd try using a crows foot with a torque wrench.

Too tight and the sensor becomes too sensitive, ie...phantom knock.

Hmmm, never knew that. Guess I'll be backing out my sensor and re tightening it. Unless general consensus is that I should just get a new one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned