The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

just bought gvr4 PlEASE help not boosting and cant idle

SouthCaliVR4

If you have a couple bux to toss me for gas I can come down with the toys & help you figgure it out, sunday works for me if you're free. I live in Fallbrook.

yeti

yea that would be great im taking it to the mechanic today so i will post all that info as soon as possible
AND THERES radiator fluid dripping out the car also dont know if that helps figure anything out

SouthCaliVR4

Dude, don't waste money on a mechanic, I is one. I'll come down help you sort it out & then you can spend your dollars on parts like the rest of us. their not going to be able to tell you anything I can't.

I'll pm you my number.

yeti

i know but i technically havent purchased the car yet i was inches from buying it yesterday before it started sputtering like that
im taking it to my friends mechanic at one for a free estimate of whats wrong and if its a good buy for 1800
even if i have to put 1000 of work into it i will still keep i just dont want it over 1000

the mechanic is not charging nor fixing anything just looking
the owner of the car wants to sell it today or pick it up
i might try to see if i can have it over the weekend for more research
if the mechanic cant diagnose the problem
planning to buy in about 4 hours i will be at mechanic in 1 hour and a half i will post while im thier to give out as much info as possible
that would be great if you could come down and show me whats wrong i just wanna make sure the car is worth 1800

SouthCaliVR4

Fair enough, Have them check for codes, compression & condition of t-belt. Otherwise be sure the car is rust free, or minimal & has not been in any major wrecks. I pm'd you my number so if you run into any questions when they look at it shoot me a call.

yeti

the friend who was supposed to take me to the mechanic is bailing on me so what time on sunday would be be able to come down i talked to the owner and he said that i could keep until monday because i told him i want to get more people to look at it.
i will give you 20$for gas i will call you on saturday night or around 10 or 11 am on sunday
and i really appreciate you offering to help

yeti

Got my friend to take me to mechanic he said its a boostleak there's. Fluid squirting out under the eci fuel injection spot
In gonna try and fix the leak hopefully any tips on fixing or finding all boost leaks

yeti

Car runs better is boosting a little bit but nearly as much as it should be also keeps stallin I raised the idle
And it worked while idleing but once u shift it dies in nuetral or in mid shift
Sounds like there's a giantboost leak I can hear whipping air around or its the wastegate opening while boost is building I think its open to much or it has a major boost leak

Is there a way. To check how nuch boost is building before the wastegate opens or is there a way of checking if the waste gate is working correctly

And how do you boost launch with these cars if u can't build boost at a stop

WaRrIoRs16

You could probably check what pressure the wastegate is opening at by hooking up a compressor to it, but you should make sure you have a gauge on the compressor that is accurate so you don't end up damaging the wastegate. Also if the exhaust housing is cracked severely around the wastegate flapper area allowing air to escape when the flapper is closed you will have trouble building boost.

I wouldn't recommend that you "boost launch" your car while the car has the issues it has. Especially if you haven't even bought it, might upset the owner if something else breaks and you decided not to buy it. The only ways that I know of to build boost off the line would be a 2 step launch control setup or an antilag setup, both requiring you to mod your ECU.

yeti

wasnt planning to boost launch i was just wondering cause my frind said i should hear the turbo spooling up when i rev because thats what his 1998 eclipse GSX does

steve

If you want to check the turbo, with the engine OFF you can pull off the intake pipe and make sure the compressor spins freely and smoothly.

yeti

i pulled the intake off and the compressor turns freely
ya i was wondering if it could get things in the compressor wheel if someone neglected to put the a filter on
and i tryd building a boost leak tester but failed horribly i have all the parts i just don't have the concept

yeti

and i never had the ob1 sensor or the code checking machine what ever its called
the guy i took it two just drove it around the block and told me it was a boost leak

524of1000

My first turbo ate some of the intake pipe that had dried up and broke off. OMNOMNOMNOM.....

Just order on of these if you cant make one.....
click
Quoting yeti:
and i never had the ob1 sensor or the code checking machine what ever its called
the guy i took it two just drove it around the block and told me it was a boost leak

Hello and welcome I am also a neewbe and have same issues ontop of other stuff but my emgine was coming on some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif times and the car would stall when put in nutral from higher rpm ... Around 3000.or above it was the tps controller on the down side the unit that is hard to get to without pulling the throttle body.... Also I have a boost leak somewhere and acts the same as yours im just sidelined due to low cash

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned