The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is your Throttle Body grounded?

4Grim

Are you guys talking about the green wire with the "boot" plug?

Turbo TB:
img.php

N/T TB:(Sorry for the blurry pic)
img.php

steve

THIS

img.php

4Grim

Sorry steve...didnt see the enlarged pic. I never had that bracket on mine either. I grounded mine to the firewall..but with the N/T throttle body..it doesn't have that designated spot unlike the turbo TB, so I improvise a new location.

steve

No problem. It made a difference on my car. Apparently it was sometimes grounding and sometimes not.

gtluke

the non turbo throttle body doesn't need it, since the TB bolts though the throttle body.
on a stock gvr4, the bolts touch the TB elbow, pass through the throttle body into the intake. if your intake and throttle body gaskets are good, and your bolts aren't bent and centered like they should be, then the throttle body is totally isolated from the elbow, and the intake and it has NO ground because of this, which is the reason for the seemingly useless bracket.
on some cars though, the TB finds a ground though chance one of the bolts touching the TB on the inside, or burrs in the aluminum around the intake/throttle blade area. you might be lucky and its grounded without it, but most likely if you don't have that strap/bracket, you have no ground.

Quote:
he also has a BOV cover, which never existed on USDM gvr4's so he must be OEM anal like me

I've never even heard of such a thing, let alone seeing one (besides at the meet, which I somehow completely overlooked /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rolleyes.gif ) My car still has the bracket. I think several different VFAQs say it's useless and you don't have to reinstall it, which is why a bunch are missing. I somewhere read though that it functioned as a ground strap so always put it back.

After putting a new circuit breaker in the trunk last night, I decided to add some grounds while all my electrical stuff was out. Grounded both the TB and CAS to the chassis, added two new chassis grounds, and one straight to the battery terminal. So far no different.

Yea it didn't solve my problem with my idling. It probably does solve some cases but I think I need a new Idle air control valve.

curtis

Hell Just froze Steve made a technical post... /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

Rausch

....that he stoled (lol) from luke! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Quote:
thanks for the credit, pee hole bug

boostedinaz

Since mine wasn't grounded and I had a few extra minutes I made a quick ground wire.

WTF do the JDM peoples do then? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif It had a small bracket on the other end of the Intake Mani. The Cyclone or RS TB's must be the same

^^^ I'm not sure, but I've got a JDM TB and Cyclone intake in a big box of parts. I'll check it out tomorrow; compare it to my US setup.

steve

Quote:
....that he stoled (lol) from luke! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Quote:
thanks for the credit, pee hole bug

I know, all your tech knowledge comes to you magically in a dream. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

belize1334

On the JDM tb, the closed throttle switch is part of the harness for the tps, so it probably references a ground in the harness.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned