The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this just AC condensation or am I still pissing coolant?

DR1665

I spent every weekend for a month draining coolant and replacing this or that cooling system component. I've finally got all the hoses, gaskets, thermostat, radiator cap, and water pump replaced. 464/1000 is running like a champ. Temp gauge points to about 11 o'clock 90% of the time.

Still, every morning when I pull into work, I see this behind the car.

It's coming from somewhere near the firewall.

Freaks me the f*** out. I pop the hood, I find no coolant leaks, the levels look fine, and the only moisture I can find anywhere is some condensation on the AC hardline going through the firewall. It's "monsoon season" here in Phoenix, so we've gone from 105*F w/ 3% humidity to 115*F w/ 40%+ humidity. I suspect it's also more humid in the morning, too.

Temps during my drive to work in the morning are usually about 98-100*F.
Temps during my drive home in the evening are usually around 105-110*F.

On the drive home, I see my temp gauge climb a bit. It will go from 11 o'clock to 1-1:30. I do not smell coolant, the AC still blows ice cold, and there are no bubbling sounds coming from the engine bay or leaks like pictured above when I pull into my driveway at home after the longer, hotter, nastier evening commute.

I'm a bit paranoid and looking for words of assurance, here. When the AC's running on humid days, does the condensate tend to collect anywhere in the engine bay, likely to spill out en masse like pictured above during corners? Does it accumulate in a casting recess on the back of the transmission or something? Maybe a depression in the k-member?

I may have been a GVR4 owner for about 5 years now, but I've got less than a year having an air conditioned one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Appreciate any and all feedback. Cheers.

GVR4_1057

That looks like it would be AC condensation. That it where the dump tube is.

Looks like there is a good amount. Take a feel / smell of it one day and see what it is. Should be pretty easy to tell with that much coming out.

DR1665

No shi... Dump tube, eh? Good to know.

Since it only happens when I get to work in the morning, I'm a bit too dressed up to be doing much snooping around the car, but I'll try to test the leakage.

Thanks gents.

I see now.... or try to take it for a spin with the AC off one day and see if it does it.

89Mirageman

Quoting 92Galant926:
I see now.... or try to take it for a spin with the AC off one day and see if it does it.

This

Quoting 3of1000:
Dip your finger and smell it you clown. Report back.

No, this. Don't be scared to touch ethylene glycol. Its only extended exposure that causes cancer in lab animals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptorWagon

^+1 I think that heat is getting to you Brian, forgetting the basics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Quoting crankwalk:
Quoting 3of1000:
Dip your finger and smell it you clown. Report back.

No, this. Don't be scared to touch ethylene glycol. Its only extended exposure that causes cancer in lab animals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

plus (and i've learned this firsthand) extended soaking of the hands in it makes for numb, tingly hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

DR1665

You guys are funny. I tested the leak. It's water. No color to it or coolant smell.

This is just water. It's just that, combined with the temp gauge moving like it does during my afternoon commute (and after spending a month swapping out various cooling system parts because I was a lazy bastard and didn't just replace them all at once), I'm still a bit nervous about cooling system function.

Exhibit A:
This is my temp gauge all the way to work. All the way to Socal and back, even after 4 hours plus at 80mph (3900rpm) with the AC cranked climbing hills and racing across the desert. It's also what I see for 80% of my commute home every night in 112* rush hour slow-n-go with the AC on as well.

Exhibit B:
This is what my temp gauge does towards the end of the highway portion of my evening commute. This is the hottest time of the day (again, 105-112* lately). I smell no coolant, I see no steam, I see no puddles or drips in my driveway when I get home. My coolant level checks out and the AC *barely* drops from blowing 45* to closer to 60*. This is after about 15 minutes at 60-70mph, followed by stop and go in densely packed traffic. Once I get off the highway onto surface streets, the temp goes right back to normal and even banging through the first couple gears at WOT in an effort to get the gauge to climb again won't budge that needle.

The entire cooling system is new - radiator, pressure cap, thermostat, water pump, hoses, and 50/50 premix. I know the gauge isn't the most trustworthy source, but still. This makes me nervous. Should I consider a new sending unit for the gauge? I've got a bottle of water wetter in the garage. Should I try that?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Try them both.

Also, you didn't say that you have new sensors and if any of your sensors are original maybe its time to replace them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Maybe flush out the block/head, you may have some blockage due to mineral or rust build up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Check to make sure both fans are properly working. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DR1665

Quoting 3of1000:

Also, you didn't say that you have new sensors and if any of your sensors are original maybe its time to replace them.

Could be. Original sensors for all I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Quoting 3of1000:

Maybe flush out the block/head, you may have some blockage due to mineral or rust build up.

Attempted to do that while the old water pump was off. Shoved the end of a 1400psi pressure washer in there and blasted away until clear water came out everywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Quoting 3of1000:

Check to make sure both fans are properly working.

Confirmed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks for the tips and reassurances. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned