The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intesting read about oil by Robert Young (Forced Performance)

2of9

I've been using mobil1 10w30 full synthetic since I've owned the car. In the winter, the car does hesitate for a good 2-4 seconds when we're below the -5(f) mark. I tell ya, -20 is plenty cold. Supposively, we're supposed to switch to the 5w30...? Never tried it, never will. I'm just kind questionable if i switch oil because of possibly other additives from other oil manufacturers. 20w50 is pretty heavy stuff but maybe put that in once I go e85?

JNR

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Quoting JNR:
Sorry, Ian, didn't mean that directed towards you, but the article /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just don't take too much weight with articles done by "shops", especially.

But its not like like FP is advertising an oil that they produce. They are just stating oils they have had success with. Plus another reason they may have released the article is to keep the emails and calls they get about failed turbos to a minimum and help extend the life of their turbos they build.

I understand what you're saying, but I guess what I'm getting at is at the end of the day it becomes more opinion than anything else and there's always the background behind it; another fun pandora's box is talking about spark plugs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doesn't have to be that way and there are legitimate comparisons, etc. out there of course, but just gotta really read it for what it is, I suppose.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Quoting G:
I'm talking oil weight vs climate not synthetic vs conventional.

And I'm saying that a synthetic flows better at 0* than conventional oil does, so there is a difference between the two at cold temperatures.

Obviously the thinner oils will behave better at these temperatures, but it's not quite as bad with a synthetic.

thecman02

I don't feel bad using 0w-40 Mobil One. It has more wear protection particles then most listed, Bob is the oil guy has numerous UOA's of hi perf, modified, turboed vehicles running this oil with great results.

Street Surgeon

BP racing oils!!!! They're green, can't go wrong with that!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned