The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Glovebox / Trunk / Valet Key Question

toybreaker

iconoclast
Gentlemen,

Had a nice young man contact me about getting a gloveboxlatch and lock assembly.

I'd like to give him one with a key ... that works

I have what I *believe* to be the "master" key to two of these cars, but they don;t work the glovebox.

They do work the trunk

I got one glovebox lock to cycle to the locked position, and now it won;t unlock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

My locksmith buddy says it's probably because the glovebox lock doesn't get "cycled" very often (if at all), so it's tumblers are "virgin"

Does anybody have the original key set to their car that includes both the master and the valet key?

I'd like to know if the valet key works the trunk.

please don;t cycle the lock in your glovebox untill you verify you have key that does NOT work in the trunk

... I've got the glovebox to my own car locked now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks for your help!

James

My key (though isn't original) works in the ignition, trunk, and glovebox.

GVR47111K

^Dito. Mine is even bent out of shape and still somehow manages all three.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

Sounds like you both have the "master" key to your car.

I *believe* there was a "valet" key issued at the point of purchase to the original buyer that only worked the door and ignition lock assemblies.

... as in did not allow access to the glovebox or trunk ...

I'm hoping some has both keys, and can verify my assumption of the valet key theory.

I checked a few vr4's (including my own), and only one of them has a key that works the glovebox.

The other three worked the trunks, but not the glovebox

... although I did get two of them to cycle to the locked condition by tinkering with them

... and are now resisting my attempts to unlock them with spectacular tenacity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Let me repeat;

please be carefull tinkering with the glovebox lock, I've got two that are perma locked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I need someone to tell me that have a key that works the both the door locks and the ignition, but not the trunk.

Thanks for the replies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just want to get the young man what he's asking for, a working glovebox latch and key.

Last edited:

misterfixit

If you are unsure, ALWAYS cycle the lock with the glove box open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hindsight is 20/20 unfortunately.

You could try undoing the hinges from the cross barace at the bottom and see if you get enough room to get at the latch plate.
I think the only other way to get in there will be to cut a portion of the glovebox front out so you can get to the latch plate retaining bolts.
I think any other way will risk damaging the dash.

toybreaker

iconoclast
... here's the fucked up part, Rich.

I did that on the parts cars, but didn;t even think about it on my own car

... yep, locked up tighter than a dsm'rs wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The valet keys should only work ignition and door. glovebox and trunk should work only with the master. The noticeable difference (at least on those I have seen) is at the very tip of the key. The valet key has two extra angle surfaces.

John, not sure I have a valet for either car, but I will check this weekend and try them.

Sometimes the gbox cylinder will stick if there is load on the striker(i.e. full glove box or some other reason like misadjustment, strong gravity in your area, etc.).

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Confirmed. Valet key will NOT open the trunk or a LOCKED glovebox. It will turn a glovebox cylinder when not locked. Glovebox cylinder locks to the right, unlocks to the left. I had to pull out the key just slightly to unlock the cylinder when it was unlocked.

Street Surgeon

Valet key is ONLY good for the ignition and door (same way on Nissans) so that your punk kid valet can't rifle through your trunk, glove box etc.

Another bit of info for good measure is this:

Master Key: MB543949
Valet Key: MZ628047

The valet key is actually missing the "tip" of the key which you can kind of see in these images.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting iceman69510:
Confirmed. Valet key will NOT open the trunk or a LOCKED glovebox. It will turn a glovebox cylinder when not locked. Glovebox cylinder locks to the right, unlocks to the left. I had to pull out the key just slightly to unlock the cylinder when it was unlocked.

Thanks Dave!

That's exactly what I needed to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Street Surgeon:
Valet key is ONLY good for the ignition and door (same way on Nissans) so that your punk kid valet can't rifle through your trunk, glove box etc.

Another bit of info for good measure is this:

Master Key: MB543949
Valet Key: MZ628047

The valet key is actually missing the "tip" of the key which you can kind of see in these images.

Now that's some kick ass info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Thanks for your post!

James

Amazing after 20+ years were still learning things about the cars

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting misterfixit:

You could try undoing the hinges from the cross barace at the bottom and see if you get enough room to get at the latch plate.

Thanks for the tip, that's how I got it out, Rich

Couldn;t get at the screws, but I got in there with two thin feeler gauges and slid the latches back.

whaddapita!

Thanks again!

toybreaker

iconoclast
With the help of the gentlemen above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

... I've determined I have a different problem.

Got four glovebox lock sets here (3 vr4, 1 dsm)

... all four with the "master" key

All open the trunks, but only one (the one from a 92 dsm ... of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ) opens the glovebox as well.

Looks like the vr4 glovebox locks I have are all borked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I had a new key cut for the nicest lock on the advice of my locksmith buddy. He said that the tumblers in the glovebox lock probably hadn't been cycled much, and a new key would probably do the trick. (Kinda suprised me he would say that as the new key is cut using the old (worn) key as a pattern, but hey, I'll try anything once.)

... didn't work ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I did notice the dsm lock is dimensionally the same/fits/works in a vr4 glovebox, but the color is wrong

dsm unit on the left is grey, vr4 unit on the right is black

Don't want to send the young man the wrong color, so now I have a different task.

... figuring out why these lock cylinders won't cycle

Anybody got any ideas on this front?

Street Surgeon

Just a few more things to add to this thread.

1. The above photo is not my cars valet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, actually it's from another thread on this site!

2. Here's one more pic to explain what I was talking about. You can see two regular 1/2g keys, and then the valet with it's missing "tip" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Regarding your glove box lock conundrum: A freshly cut key usually does the trick, to get a fresh key get a replacement cut from your key-code, not some busted worn old key! Don't have the code?

Look at your original key and it's the number engraved on it. Not there? Get it from the passenger door lock cylinder, can't do that? Go to mitsubishi with your title and have them get it for you? Too lazy? Find a locksmith of the savvy variety and he can either read your lock cylinder or worn key and get you the key code from there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The lock cylinders should be removable from the latches. I don't recall exactly how to do it, but there is some method to release them. Perhaps in the service manual. Then you can examine the cylinder operation and/or switch them? I have a vague recollection of a paper clip inserted somewhere... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The illustrations above show what I meant about the shape of the valet key, so thanks for providing the clear visual support for my muddy verbal attempt.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Also, I don't recall if the "DSMs" actually had valet keys, since you can't keep someone out of the hatch anyway. I suppose maybe for the glovebox. Also the Spyders had a lock to lock the trunk release.

RayH

On a side note, remember that the locks use only one side of the key so if you have a worn key that doesn't work you can try flipping it around and trying the other side. It's also possible to cut a new key that'll work for two cars but at that point the keys become directional.

tektic

"Get a fresh key get a replacement cut from your key-code, not some busted worn old key! Don't have the code? "

Any lock smith can cut a key from a code?

cheekychimp

Yep,

All the information is there John. Pity this problem didn't come up when I was out there. I 'might' have been able to teach 'you' something for once.

So you have verified that you need to send your guy a lock and "master" key as the valet key won't open the glovebox. The second issue is the pins. Key impressions wear with use. Generally speaking with a lock the key and pins would wear in unison making for a great fit. What your locksmith buddy says is quite right. If that master key was used in the ignition and trunk day in and day out for years on end whilst the glovebox remained untouched for most of that period then there will be miniscule differences in the height the key pushes each pin to when inserted in that 'virgin' lock. One miniscule difference in the sheer line of one of those pins means it will bind against the edge of the tumbler when you try to turn it (hence the reason it won't cycle).

To confirm this try placing a very very light turning pressure on the the key in the lock and jiggle it up and down as you twist. The key is to use constant but very light pressure. It must be enough to 'pop' the lock when the pins are aligned but not enough to bind the pins so that they won't move relatively freely when 'jiggled'. If you have any success, then more than likely a fresh key cut from a code will do the trick because you have minor misalignment of the pins resulting from a worn key.

If it doesn't (and in all honesty, this is something you should try first) squirt some all pupose lubricant like WD40 into the lock. If you have access to it (and your locksmith buddy should) use powdered graphite. Get the key and push it in and out of the lock gently to start in case there is any binding but fairly rigorously once everything is moving just to ensure all the pins and return springs are moving freely.

Try that and post up if you still don't have any success.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts