The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hydrolic issues.

tektic

I've been having problems with my clutch. So I decided to swap out my slave. To my surprise no fluid even dripped when I unscrewed the top of the rubber hose. Does this mean the master is damaged or far from correctly adjusted? I never removed the cap to the resoviour, but still. What does this mean?

92_talon_awd

Could be a lot of things. I had a clutch fork break on me one time, thought it was the slave cylinder going bad until it dumped the slaves guts all over the road at 60mph. Is your clutch fluid level good? If so, I would look beyond the hydraulic system. I would suggest checking clutch adjustment first if your fluid level is good. Also look for discolored fluid that would indicate it's time for a flush.

Last edited:

tektic

Master was leaking. Replaced both master and slave. Blead it a lot. Adjusted the master rod so the pedal hits the top stop with no slack. Can not dis ingauge at all. I'm going to give a power bleeder a try. But now its worse then it was before.

manikbastrd

Sometimes you need to bench bleed the master before installation, otherwise you can get the valves locked in place. I always do it even though it's not always necessary.

tektic

I have bad leaks from my NEW slave. the banjo, bleeder and bore all leak. Going to get another one.

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

Was it a parts store slave or dealer part?

tektic

Ok new piece installed. It didn't work until I manually compressed the fork to allow the slave to extend.

Took it for a ride and it engaging right off the top. The clutch slips above 2500. What do I do now? Press it back in?

acn

Did you try adjusting the master rod again? I had a 95 GSX that was very sensitive to that adjustment, and the clutch would slip if adjusted too far.

tektic

I actually just opened the bleeder slightly and let the fluid bleed until the fork was directly in the center. I drove it all day like this and it worked great.

I'll try to adjust the master tomorrow because the system does not self adjust like jacks video. The master is currently set so there is no slack when the pedal is all the way pulled to the top of the throw.

edit: let it sit a few hours and it suck again...

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Sounds like you are not properly bleeding your entire hydraulic system.

tektic

I agree. The master is also not allowing me to compress the slave by hand. Why is this stupid bleeder valve so hard to get to?

G

Staff member
You need this >> click It has a one way valve that will not let air back in to the system.

prove_it

Quoting tektic:
I agree. The master is also not allowing me to compress the slave by hand. Why is this stupid bleeder valve so hard to get to?

This is from over adjustment of the pedal rod. Watch Jacks video, he explains it quite well.

tektic

I've watched it a few times now... I have a leak in a line. I bought a new one today. I will get under it again tomorrow.

If the pedal is properly adjusted should I be able to suck fluid out with a power bleeder connected directly to the line?

prove_it

Should, but you still need to bleed the slave properly.

tektic

That's what I thought... But wasn't able to last time.

So when the bleeder starts pulling fluid I'm going to assume the master is set properly. I have so replace the metal line after the flex. I'll bleed the slave after that.

Now I just need the time. Hope that's actually the problem.

prove_it

The power bleeder will work great, but you still have to compress the slave back to fully bleed all air out.

I just saw my aftermarket master is leaking already. Took a whole 5 months to leak. Stupid junk. Had my stock one completly fail and needed one that day.

Bought a new OEM 1G to put on. Can't wait to get that on.

tektic

I was under the car for 6 hours today..... The slave is completely bled. The only way I was able to do it was using the power bleeder with the short tube between the vacuum canister and the slave cylinder, with the slave removed from the transmission. I applied suction and pumped the slave by hand until the line was full of fluid. I wasn't taking any chances so installed an extended slave rod. After bolting it back to the trans I started the car. I couldn't get it in to first. Epic Fail. This was the third or fourth day I spent more than 4 hours working on this problem. I'm ready to sell this pos.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned