The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to get into the 12's?

CutlassJim

I haven't taken my Galant to the track yet but in my 91 Talon (I KNOW less weight) I ran a 12.3 @ 108 with and EVOIII, 550's, 2.5" turboback, ACT2600, and with an old school 5 knob AFC with every knob set at -30 (read NO tune) on 117 at 26psi. Everything else in the car was stock, including the tires, with 150K miles on it.

Unless your cars tune is seriously out of whack then it's just seat time and practice you need. The above time was on a 1.7 flat sixty foot on the said stock sized Eagle RSA's. I launched that thing like a mofo.

Also remember that one of the reasons our cars do SO well at the track is the launch. Hell my 14.1 second GTP will beat my friends 12.9 second EVO9 on the highway (stupid front wheel drive). So your car might not feel as fast as his because it isn't. You can just run a similar 1/4 mile time due to your launch.

And why go to a bigger turbo when your not using the one you have to it's full potential? If you haven't hit a 12 yet then worry about tuning and driving.

Here's a pick of the Talon at the track.
0511DSC_4974.jpg

1gnasty

Quote:
Dude dont belive these guys.. your car will not run that number unless you do alot of tuning...I mean alot of tuning... your best bet is get a bigger turbo with the cams and then you can run the numbers you seek...I know im gonna get some slack about this post but im just keeping it real. I got everything on my car and it does not even run 13s and all THEY say is... you gotta tune more. well guess what I tuned more and its still slow..but it dont knock... I talked to some guys that run the 11s with the goodies, what they all tell me is, get the big turbo and go fast...HMMMM
Im getting a big turbo next year and then wacth my car go to damn fast....I will put it to you like this ..I have chevys that are fast. 10sec street stuff..I used to fart around with small blocks with no stroke...and wonder why they were slow cause the other guy had a 350 and his was way faster. well that guy either had a proven combination out the gate, or he spent alot of money on the dyno tune. then I started stroking my small blocks and what a diffrence. Now im fast for less money because I did not waste time on trial and error...Im not saying the guys on the board are lying, im just saying how much tuning are you willing to do to get results you want. they want $150 Dollars an hour to dyno tune where I live.

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

Well that just shows how much u suck at life and tuning

marvinmadman

Quote:
Dude dont belive these guys.. your car will not run that number unless you do alot of tuning...I mean alot of tuning... your best bet is get a bigger turbo with the cams and then you can run the numbers you seek...I know im gonna get some slack about this post but im just keeping it real. I got everything on my car and it does not even run 13s and all THEY say is... you gotta tune more. well guess what I tuned more and its still slow..but it dont knock... I talked to some guys that run the 11s with the goodies, what they all tell me is, get the big turbo and go fast...HMMMM
Im getting a big turbo next year and then wacth my car go to damn fast....I will put it to you like this ..I have chevys that are fast. 10sec street stuff..I used to fart around with small blocks with no stroke...and wonder why they were slow cause the other guy had a 350 and his was way faster. well that guy either had a proven combination out the gate, or he spent alot of money on the dyno tune. then I started stroking my small blocks and what a diffrence. Now im fast for less money because I did not waste time on trial and error...Im not saying the guys on the board are lying, im just saying how much tuning are you willing to do to get results you want. they want $150 Dollars an hour to dyno tune where I live.

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

14bCrazy

Quote:
I know im gonna get some slack about this post but im just keeping it real.

Yo Iz jus keepin id realz. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

4orced4door

Quote:

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

DarkDevilMMM

uh golly... poor dude... uncleben4rice, please come to the meet, let's take a look at your car, I am sure there's either something really wrong with it, or you didn't drive it like you stole it... have you check for boost leak? exhaust leak? base timing? or simply bad knock? we'll take a look, we will get you into 12, that's the goal for our meet /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

sag1441

i only ran a 14.3 on a 14b with lots of mods tuned properly no knock. i suck also and it makes me sad so many people go so fast with nothing. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/bawling.gif

rheckert

elevation matters... Its ok I have seen built 2.3's run in the 13's. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Lose those heavy ass 17" ADR wheels.
Practice driving.
Get it tuned properly.

Rausch

^ or start running 1/8 mile.... /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif

91vr4

'When keeping it real, goes wrong' lol

deez

Okay, for the questions ya'll asked. The fuel system also has a Walbro 255 with afpr, I did get rid of the pk DarkDevil (changing the injectors fixed it???), I have a keydiver chip with safc. Trims are high 116, mid 119, low 85 (why so low, I dont know). So the car pulls pretty hard but at higher revs it just doenst seem to pull hard enough, like it may want to breathe more which is why I was thinking cams. The exhaust is 2.5" from O2 housing out with high flow cat and muffler. O2 housing is a ported Evo3, as is the manifold.

steve

Quote:
What is your fastest et?

^

You're relying on your butt dyno to say its not as quick as it should be. How quick is it, actually?

Hertz

Staff member
I thought JC ran 12.9, maybe faster, with a mostly stock '87 JDM VR-4. AND THE SHIFTER IS ON THE WRONG SIDE. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif 'Cept he can drive.

uncleben4rice

Okay I spent $7,000 dollars on this junk. Look all I was saying is you gotta know what your doing to run the 12s. I am not going to spend another $1,000 dollars tuning this thing when I can go and get another turbo and manifold. some of the guys on this board know what im talking about..let the turbo do the work...man I got everything on this car and its just slow..somebody told me that I did too much too fast. I should have taken baby steps. if I had to do it again I would have started at the turbo first..and not listen to all the folks who said I can go 12.40 on the small 16g when "I" dont know what im doing... if you can tune, then tune...if you cant get the big turbo man...now for all you suckers out there here is my parts list
POWER MODS
BUILT MOTOR 9 TO 1 CROWER VALVETRAIN
Weapon-R Foam filter -
2G MAF
Griffen 20x10x2.75" Intercooler core with HKS Endtanks
TCToons 2.5" Intercooler piping from Turbo to Throttle body
TRE ported Mitsubishi small TD05H-16G turbo w/34mm Wastegate valve
TRE Ported 95+ Exhaust Manifold
TRE Ported 95+ o2 Sensor housing
TCToons 3" Turbo back exhaust with Thermal muffler
Removed silencer
NGK BP6ES spark plugs
NGK 7MM spark plug wires
Walbro 190lph Fuel Pump
Spoolinup Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Rewired fuel pump power wire
RC 750cc injectors -
ACT 2600 clutch -
ACT lightened flywheel -
BG Syncroshift gear oil -
Redline MTL 75-90 in rear diff
TRE TRANNY
RRE Stainless Steel Turbo oil supply line
RRE Stainless Steel Clutch line
SUSPENSION MODS
Mofugas Front adjustable strut bar
Mofugas Rear adjustable strut bar
Mofugas Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar
RRE Stainless Steel Brake lines
KYB AGX struts
DSS Coilover 400F/350R 8" springs
4-bolt rear axle from 92 DSM
5-lug hubs from 92 DSM
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 215/55/16ZR

MISC MODS
Apexi EL 60mm Peakhold EGT -
Apexi EL 60mm -30-0-30psi Boost gauge -
AutoMeter Phantom Electric 0-100psi Oil Pressure gauge -
AutoMeter Phantom Electric 100-250degree Water Temp gauge -
AutoMeter Phantom Electric 0-100psi Fuel Pressure gauge -
Lo-Tek Engineering dual gauge pillar pod -
Mofugas Motorsports single DIN panel triple gauge plate -
Mofugas Motorsports Leather Shift Boot -
ZEITRONIX WIDEBAND A/F Meter -
DSMLINK
Greddy Turbo Timer -
2G shift knob -
1G T/E/L shifter -
Razo pedal covers - came with car
Spal 11" 810cfm slim fan -
Homemade Intercooler Sprayer -
Battery Relocation kit

gtluke

haha my 12's was without any tuning what so ever and on 450 injectors
well actually, nate kept breaking parts out of my 1g maf meter till it got faster /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

Rausch

Quote:
Okay I spent $7,000 dollars on this junk. Look all I was saying is you gotta know what your doing to run the 12s. I am not going to spend another $1,000 dollars tuning this thing when I can go and get another turbo and manifold.

ok......um, if you are not willing to spend $$ on tuning (or more $$ on tuning) how can you justify spending even more $$ on parts? tune what you have, or have it tuned. i think if you get all the kinks worked out, you'll be much happier than running more bigger whatever, and still having a crappy tune. not to mention you very well may start destroying parts if the 'tune' or lack thereof, gets too far away from you. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

You have to tune whatever setup you have, period. The turbo can't "just do the work for you".

You have EVERYTHING you need to tune the car perfectly by yourself. What is stopping you?

Maybe your ET sucks because you can't drive at the dragstrip. No offense, I can't drive drag worth crap myself, so I'm just throwing that out there.

What were your trap speeds at the dragstrip? You run race gas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned