The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How many splines?

Brunoboy

Just curious because I took of my t-case and never knew how to count it, do you count the spaces or the teeth ?

dsm10o0

Also, another way to tell is the aluminum front casing is 22 and the cast iron is 23.

TylerAdamson

As Wop pointed out, it doesn't matter whether your count the spaces or the teeth. The count will be the same.

dsm10o0

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew 2gs had the aluminum casing but didnt know 1gs had both.

raptorWagon

That and GVR4s were mix and matched unlike how the DSMs of certain years had 22 and the rest had 23.

Brunoboy

thanks for the info, lets say i have a 22 spline t-case. and i bought a 23 spline tranny. how does that work?

number3

JackbNimble

Quoting brunoboy:
thanks for the info, lets say i have a 22 spline t-case. and i bought a 23 spline tranny. how does that work?

Like number3 posted, just pop off the end of the tranny and swap the shafts. I ran into the same issue thinking all W5M31 tranny's were 22 spline, which I didn't know was wrong until I had the new one up into my car and couldn't figure out why my transfer case wouldn't bolt back on.

Also, everybody told me that the shaft should just pull out, but not with mine. It did on my new tranny, but my old one took a little bit of force to get it out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts