The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hopefully getting a gvr4 this weekend

deedo

Hello my name is daniel and this is the first time posting here. Ive been in love with the gvr4 since my friend got one back in high school. Now i have a chance to get one and with it being just up the street from me i have a very good chance of getting it. The only problem being is that the guy says the car burns quite a bit of oil like a quart per 1000 miles. My guess is that its the rings, i can do all the work myslef but i have no idea where to start to look for oem parts, can stock evo internals fit directly into this car, what are good upgraded internals(not looking to really modify the car)... also what else could be the problem with this car drinking so much oil. Any help is greatly appreciated and i look foward to being part of this community:)

Nartanian

Welcome. I'd like to add that in the near future, if you car doesn't moved from the same spot on the driveway/garage for 3-12 months, that's normal too.

turbowop

I was serious when I said that, BTW. Both my cars gobble up oil. Both also have great compression, don't smoke, and run fine.

Nartanian

Yea, I was just messing. If it's the stock turbo, it could just be the seals on it showing age. It'd be nice to know compression numbers and any mods that have been done to the car too.

MMCVR4

Quoting turbowop:
I was serious when I said that, BTW. Both my cars gobble up oil. Both also have great compression, don't smoke, and run fine.

I have that same problem with my Celica Turbo All-Trac. Where the heck is the oil going? The Galant on the otherhand is a smoker.

There could be several possibilities that this VR-4 for sale is burning oil. PCV valve, valve stem seals, turbo seals, piston rings, etc. Check through some of the topics and you'll find some good information or you can also use the search functions. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

524of1000

The only Evo internals that can fit DIRECTLY (IIRC) are the valve springs and retainers. Pistons need to have the pins pressed in if using stock style rods and will cost around the same as forged 1g units by the time you're done. The ECU and MAS can be used but require some wireing. The Cams amd intercooler from an Evo 8 can be modified to fit as well. Alot can be used, it's just a matter of making some adjustments on how to fit it. Keep an eye out in the future, as Broxma and I are going to be fabbing up a way to use the Evo 8 turbo as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

BrandonEchols

Quoting 524of1000:
Keep an eye out in the future, as Broxma and I are going to be fabbing up a way to use the Evo 8 turbo as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'm looking forward to this, actually...I think I saw the thread on it, and...looks very interesting.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned