The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hesitation when Throttle Applied

Hittman

I've searched a couple of terms and found some threads, but none applied to me (or at least they didnt seem to)

I'm having a problem with hesitation when throttle is applied, upon lessening up on the throttle, it seems that the car accelerates a bit more. This appears to be evident in 1st through 3rd gear, but seems to taper off in 4th and 5th. I had a similar problem in my Evo, but it turned out to be a loose hose (I/C Piping Hose), didnt know if thats where I should start on this issue, or if this sounds like a different problem. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Hittman

BTW Stock engine, no mods. I've read that maybe something to do with a bad FPR Diaphram? or faulty injectors (which might make sense of why different gears are affected)?

Could also be knock pulling the timing. A bad TPS, or something in the MAS. Some more info would be useful; the easiest way to diagnose this would be to use a datalogger; is there one near you that you could use?

Hittman

Sorry for the vague description.

Its getting worse now, 1st gear is the main culprit. It seems when I engage into first gear, i have almost NO power. The engine revs, but the car doesnt seem to "catch". (similar to when my Evo blew off an I/C pipe)

I havent checked the TPS yet, but will follow suit and check the knock sensor as well as the MAS.

Hittman

I dont personally own a datalogger, but will be seeing someone this weekend that has one. Hopefully we will be able to solve this issue.

Also, something else I noticed. I know our cars are known for noisy lifters, but it seems that this problem is evident when the lifters are noisy. When the lifters quiet down, the problem seems to dissipate.

Hittman

Thanks Hertz. Are there any common GVR4 malfunctions that would cause this? (Sensors, etc.)

Could be torn fpr diaphragm, fouled plugs, faulty coolant temp sensor. Or it could just be noisy lifters reading as knock and pulling timing.

Hittman

Awesome Thanks for the Help. I will check on these this weekend. I appreciate everyone's help thus far, this site is filled with knowledgeble people who are actually WILLING to help... !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned