The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Throttle Sticking at over 4k - Help Please

sublimesnfu

Hello, I've been away from the boards for a while - but the snow is melting and soon I will be able to start back on finishing up my VR4. Thanks to Team DuckTape for all the help last summer - we got the motor back in the car running with no check engine lights :-D mainly with your help bro. But the throttle body was sticking open above 4k and the snow began to fall so the rest of the project was put on hold. The throttle body won't close when revved past 4k unless you push on it ever so lightly with your finger. The throttle body return spring was taken off by accident/stupidity and we've rewound it six ways from Sunday to no avail, the only thing I did to the throttle body was clean it up with some carb cleaner when it was off. Everyone I've talked locally has no idea and I am thinking I may just buy a new/used throttle body to put in the next couple of weeks once it is warm again but if anyone has any advice/suggestions I would appreciate it as after this problem the only thing left hopefully is tuning my MAS Translator so my BOV doesn't cause problems.

Thanks
Alan

sublimesnfu

I did some more reading and it the BOV issue may be that it is a GReddy Type R with a stiff spring running stock boost - not positive on whether it is a stiff spring or not but I should know soon.

TylerAdamson

How tight is the coil wound on your throttle body? You might not have it wound tight enough, or it might just be dirty and in need of a rebuild.

BluFalcon

Is the throttle cable kinked or otherwise restricted in any way?

My old 91 GVR-4 still had the cruise module/throttle cable get stuck wide open because of a kinked spot on the cable. It finally frayed so bad that the cable would not slide inside the outer sheath protecting the cable once it went past a certain point in its travel. Unfortunately this happened while I was at WOT, hanging my ass around a corner trying to show off for some friends. I would inspect the cable and ensure that it moves freely with no resistance.

sublimesnfu

The Cable does move freely and is in great shape, all it takes to get the throttle body to close is to push the return spring assembly with your index finger ever so lightly and it will return to idle. The throttle body does this even with the throttle cable disconnected?

Running Aftermarket FMIC - stock turbo with evo3 manifold and a turbo back - I can't imagine the air flow keeping it open with the stock turbo still on the car.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mitsuturbo

I had this happen with a car i obtained that someone who didnt know what the f*** they were doing had worked on. It was my first gvr4. They'd hooked the BOV vac/boost line to the breather tube.. it wasn't opening at all, and the spring on the TB was weak, along with the TB shaft was a bit sticky. This combination caused the throttle plate to stick open.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting sublimesnfu:
The Cable does move freely and is in great shape, all it takes to get the throttle body to close is to push the return spring assembly with your index finger ever so lightly and it will return to idle. The throttle body does this even with the throttle cable disconnected?

Well if you have everything disconnected, the only thing acting up on the system is the throttle shaft, return spring and throttle plate in the bore.

Are you testing with the engine shut off as well to determine that this will occur regardless of the engine running?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts