The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hesitation and bog under throttle

Brunoboy

I have a new knock sensor, I put in a new maf, and the hesitation has gotten a LOT better. but still knocks from time to time, I have either and exhaust leak now, or intake manifold gasket leak. I hear it under boost. 0_o.

dsm10o0

Basically we have the same identical problem. haha My car knocks once in awhile and hesitates alot less than before.

Brunoboy

lol hopefully someone at the meet knows

Brunoboy

resolved, the last 4k miles i have been driving with one intake valve not opening due to a fallen rocker. Tre3zy and Ryuto fixed my problem tonight thinking i had to retorque the head and I saw the rocker. replaced and good to go.
-Shane

citymunky

I'm have the same problem with my car, right at 4K or just before 4k my car starts to bog and shutter. The funny thing is if I start boosting after 4.5K I don't have the shutter. After reading this thread I have a lot of stuff to check. I hope I can fix my problem asap

citymunky

So I checked a few things far.

-Open the Valve cover and looked at the rockers, they all looked fine to me.
-Spark Plugs (NGK; BR7ES). -> They look good, running a little on the rich side, but the gaps were at 0.035". I re-gapped them to 0.028"
-Fuel Pressure is at 40 PSI at idle
-Op Temps for my car: Oi l= 210 deg and above, Water = 180 deg and above

Quoting mitsuturbo:
When i bought 555 it ran like this. Turned out a couple valves were slightly bent.

Check compression. If it's not great, do a leakdown. If everything checks out, make sure your timing is good, your plugs/wires are good, and you're getting proper fuel pressure.

What should the Timing be set at? I checked yesterday and it was over 10 deg BTDC.

I read 5 deg BTDC is a good place to start.
click

Last edited:

citymunky

I just adjusted my timing to 5 deg BTDC. The bog at 4K RPMs is still there, but it's got a little better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brunoboy

plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump, boost leak,

496of2000

Did you try another set of plug wires? i had a set of magnacores that had a pinhole in it where it arched.

citymunky

Quoting brunoboy:
plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump, boost leak,

Plugs: Are Ok, gap set at 0.027"
Wires: I have 7mm NGK installed now. The last owner give me 2 sets of used wires, I can try those out.
Coil pack: I will do a Ohms test
attachment.php

Fuel Pump: Is a stock Supra TT 260Lph fuel pump. I got to find out if how to test it, if that's even possible.
Boost Leak: That's a whole can of worms I don't want to even think about.

Brunoboy

honestly boost leak is your best bet first off. im sure you must have a couple leaks somewhere.

citymunky

The first thing I did was do the Ohms test on the coil pack. Everything was with in limits.

Quoting 496of2000:
Did you try another set of plug wires? i had a set of magnacores that had a pinhole in it where it arched.

Next I poped my NGK plugs wires out, number 4 was good. Number 3, 2 and 1 had cracks along the whole shafts. Problem solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned