The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cold start problems

boosted_85

Lately when starting 1320 in the mornings the car will act like its in limp mode. Will not rev pass 2500 rpm regardless of how much gas I give it. I've done a boost leak test, change isc, got a rebuilt tb and still have the same problem. The rebuilt tb has the fiav blocked off with a blockoff plate. This didn't happen last winter with the old tb and fiav blockoff. The problems goes away right when the car reaches operation temp and you can hear a slight click( like a relay clicking) and car revs up fine and drives fine after that. Only mods are keydriver chip for 2g mas, 650 fic injectors,evo 9 fuel pump, turboback and b16g.

Any ideas

Last edited:

vtecds1

Can I safely assume you're running E85? I've heard some people have problems starting the car in the cooler months.

boosted_85

no, I'm running 93 gas and the car is stored in my shop which is heated @60 and does this at all cold starts as of lately.

vtecds1

Sorry, the 85 threw me off.

Is the check engine on and do you have a logger? Sometimes the coolant temp sensor can give you problems when they start to go bad.

Xcelerate

Check your connection to the coolant temp or replace the coolant temp. That's one of the symptoms of inaccurate coolant temp

boosted_85

checked and replace the coolant temp sensor with a oem one and it still does the same thing. Car threw a cel but wasn't store in the ecu because code reader didn't pick it up.

89Mirageman

Can you borrow a known good ecu? This is normally the first thing I check on any older Mitsubishi.

boosted_85

Swapped out the coolant temp sensor with another one, changed ecus and changed out keydriver chips and still same problems. Sucks waiting 15 mins everytime engine is warm. Going to swap out the maf so see if that's the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned