The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help on motor swapping

sydrew

im trying to bring my vr4 back to life and need some help.To alot of u who done this swap is there any easy way out of it.Can anyone tell me step to step on how to get this swap done any help would be appreciate thanks.

AnotherNewb

What kind of swap? If its just another 4g motor than its the same as any other motor replacement. Start off with a quality factory service manual and study it.

Okayplayer

Vfaq.com is your friend. Under then engine tab, there is a 1g engine removal. I would start there.

transparentdsm

i would take transmission off first. remove intake manifold, then hold the bottom of the motor with a jack remove all motor mounts and bolts, remove hood, drop exhaust, remove every single wire off of the motor and label each one so you can remember 100% where it goes when your putting her back together. get a cherry picker, a chain and use the intake manifold bolt on the back side of the motor and if there isn't the bracket in the front right of the exhaust manifold, use one of the front bolts. pull the motor slow to make sure nothing is still connected, get motor out of car and reverse.

Diego

Don't forget the axles and on the ds axle there is 2 bolts for the carrier bearing, don't lose those. Remove starter as well, that was left out above, drain the fluids to make it a level playing field. You don't want to be lifting the motor and the fluids inside shift on you making the engine a big wrecking ball for the bay.

Label, label, label.

alansupra94

Quoting donniekak:
Pull the engine and trans together. It only takes about an hour to get it out that way.

Just about to say that....who the hell pulls the transmission off first, that would take FOREVER in itself.

MellowVR4

actually trans removal is pretty easy, takes me about a half hour lol. but putting that bitch back on is a bitch bitch.

donkeylips

I have dropped the trans first, then the motor, and I have dropped the trans a few other times. Not too bad, but it's always faster and easier to pull engine and trans together. I always leave the starter, but disconnect it's wiring harness and it comes out with the motor. After doing this many times I think I save a step or two each time. I've got it down so that I only have a few very easy to identify bolts and parts that are loose when the engine is out.

After deleting emissions equipment, vacuum hoses are very simple. With A/C, the compressor makes it slightly more annoying. The parts of the job I look forward to least are the transfer case, downpipe, and the front axles. Keep in mind that you're not supposed to put the car on the ground with it's weight on the wheels without the axles in place. It's bad for the wheel bearings. If you have a spare set of beat axles, you can cut stub shafts out of them. You won't need to drain your trans fluid because you can just stick these in there to plug it off. You can stick the other ends in the hubs.

boostedinaz

Quoting donniekak:
Pull the engine and trans together. It only takes about an hour to get it out that way.

Agree 1000%

Last weekend I went against my better judgment and tried to pull just the motor. It was a HUGE pain in the ass taking 2 hours. Halfway through I bolted them back together and pulled them out as a unit in 45 min.

transparentdsm

to each his own, mellowvr4, im the same as you, trans takes me 30 or so minutes to get out and makes pulling the motor a bit easier in my mind. plus it makes the motor less of a threat to the engine bay.

omg 2 bolts holding the strut to the knuckle then tie rod ends carrier bolts other side same exept carrier jus pop it outta the trans go under drop the tcase chain it up undo mounts done

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned