The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! I Hate MY CAR!

506 hasn't ran rite since the day AFTER I bought it (4 months ago). I would list the problem's but there are just to many /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Is there anyone in the Colorado area that is willing to help me get this thing running RITE? I don't have much cash but I understand nothings free, I don't need the work done as much as I need someone knowledgeable that can point out the problems (this thing sure isn't a 350 Chevy hints that's what I know lol)I would appreciate any help...

Thanks! PS: All the beer you can drink!.....After the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Jesh

well if you list some of the problems we may be able to resolve some of them here.

What are the issues you are having? I am local, and wouldn't mind checking it out.

Hell ya man thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif It's hitting fuel cut or somthing, it has a miss at idle, the clutch mastercylnder went dry today (Never seen a leek)and just all around runs like a Ford LOL! (I HATE FORD'S) My house or your's? I've got tools, but I'm down to drive to you...Whens a good time?

thecman02

You must have some kind of boost/vacuum leak. That will wreak havoc on our metering system. I'm sure Jon will have that thing spinning like a top fast.

Ya im sure it's not a big problem, I just can't get it to run for sh*t ( Maybe I just suck at working on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif )

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
I saw your previous thread about the f.o.d. damage to the head/piston and cylinder wall, what was the resolution to that?

Is this a fresh motor you're working on?

Do you have a logger? There's a pretty cool logger deal going on in our for sale section. Might be just what you need, and upgadable in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Some logs would make diagnosing this problem considerably easier, cheaper and faster.

Quoting ilraceu:
It's hitting fuel cut or somthing, it has a miss at idle,

Before you go much further, put in a fresh set of ngk plugs, gapped appropriately for your set-up. A set of fouled plugs will misfire at idle, and when the spark blow out at higher boost levels, it's a lot like hitting a mild fuel cut. Running with a bad temp sender (or any one of a number of other problems) can foul a set of new plugs in no time flat, and leave you chasing your tail. (True fuel cut will scare the sh*t out of you! It flat turns the fun off for a sec, and it'll freak you right out the first time it happens.)

At any rate, plugs are cheap, and fresh plugs will make Jon's job easier.

In addition a pic of their color/condition will tell us a lot about what's happening.

Quote:
the clutch mastercylnder went dry today (Never seen a leek)

Check the carpet above the throttle pedal inside the car. If it's wet there, the clutch master took a sh*t. You can also gently roll the slave cylinder boot back a little and see if some seepage is occuring at the slave cylinder.

Gimpin

Quote:
(True fuel cut will scare the sh*t out of you! It flat turns the fun off for a sec, and it'll freak you right out the first time it happens.)

this is no joke ... alot of times will buck hard enough to thow you into the seat belt

If the "fuel cut" is more like a little burp in power, you might also want to check the resistance across your fuel injectors with an ohmmeter. I had one go bad, and it got progressively worse, from just a little hiccup here and there, to the point where the car was totally anemic, all the time. Very sad. But replaced it, and everything was hunky-dory.

If memory serves me, I think the normal resistance is somewhere around 4 ohms. In any event, test all of them, and if the resistance on one of them is noticably higher than the rest, you have a bad injector. I have a couple spares I bought off Cody, so I can hook you up with one if that ends up being part of your problem.

Also, +1 to new plugs, they're magical.

The fuel cut in my eclipse was more like, throw your ass into the dash then back to the seat. Of course I was venting to the air. I started recirculating and bought an safc2 and that corrected the problem.
Luckily no issues like that with gvr4 yet, hopefully ever. There's only 25 miles on the new build though, so it's not even close to broken in.
Definitely +1 on the plugs. There cheap,and could be a huge factor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned