The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

guess what im doing this weekend

ade

aww man i need to do this soon, how'd it go?

EHmotorsports

My guess is fine so far since he hasn't done anything yet.

LIV4PSI

Quoting ade:
aww man i need to do this soon, how'd it go?

I did mine recently. It's a little tedious, but it isn't hard. The most annoying part for me was taking about the yoke recall kits to get the u joints out. I guess I had less work than most since I used a 3.5' DSS driveshaft

BENE38A

here some pics, not a big deal im sure al
ot of you are familiar with it

here me trying to be organised

splines thoroughly cleaned new hanger bearing and new washer and nut. (new nut is a must)

my old one had a groove worn in

new universal joints

old scummy 22 year old grease and split lobro boot

and complete

was a great project to do and fairly easy, a few key things are to not re-use the x2 nuts they wont torque down again, and use the same coloured circlips on the universal joints (the packaged mitsubishi units were mixed up). im sure there is alot more you experienced guys have to share also
thanks.

BENE38A

no how to thread, but the x2 nuts that bolt down the yolk and back of the lobro are torqued to 137 foot pounds and the bolts arond the lobro joint itself are torqued to 25 foot pounds

BENE38A

wow what a difference, took it for a test drive once i pieced the car back together, shifting, response and almost zero vibration

unistylef

Buy the rebuild kit from JNZ

click

GSTwithPSI

Quoting unistylef:
Buy the rebuild kit from JNZ

click

He's got a lot more parts in his photo than what comes in JNZ's kit.

How many U-joints do you see there?
dsrbk.JPG

maroonmetallic

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Thanks for the write up. Can you put up a list of all the parts/part numbers you used numbers to do this?

If you click on the original poster's pictures you can see all of the part numbers.
He has "more parts" because he also got t-case gaskets & the inspection plate by the t-case.

Can't you read the JNZ link? The link clearly states you get 3 t-case yoke kits.
"Surprisingly" that is the exact same number shown in the poster's picture.

Congrats on the rebuild though. This is something on my to-do list.

Regards,
-Shawn

prove_it

The spring pressure of the seal over years of use. Little bits of dust get in there and slowly wear a groove in it. It happens to most all metal surfaces that are sealed in a similar way, i.e. axles, crank and cams, transmission shafts.

prove_it

Nope it's normal. If you have a shaft with the line, you need to take some red scotch brite and lightly clean it up. After that when you replace the seal, try to have the seal sit about 2mm further in. This will allow the seal to sit on a different part of the smooth surface and create a better seal. If the shaft is really grooved then look into finding what's called a speedy sleeve. This is a thin piece of metal that slip over the old surface and gives you a new surface without having to replace parts.

paul j

I clicked on every picture in this post and every picture in links and could not read any part #'s. Picture in original post is too small to read.

BENE38A

hey man sure thing

x3 yoke kits MR470072
x2 washers MT203641
x2 nuts MA143517
x2 carrier bearings MB505495
x1 T-case seal MR983368
x1 boot kit MB505119

i ordered x2 nuts and got x4 not sure if they are sold as a pair or if it was an error because the washers come as single, you have gone to all this effort so dont stinge out with the t-case seal buy it and do it, the boot kit will more than likely be buggered if your car has done a few miles or kilometres so replace it and you get the 60grams of grease you need and the gaskets, some people will be unlucky and the lobro joint itself will be stuffed, its expensive but here it is if you need it x1 lobro joint and boot kit MB837300 if you need the whole joint dont order MB505119 unless you want a fleshlight.if you have corrosion or bad piting you will need to replace it.
i bought all this from mitsparts.com online along with a few extra gaskets and inspection plate for $388 US thats excluding shipping, if you need to watch a video youtube jafromobile i watched the videos a couple of times, jafro makes a good video, was easily accompliched with a basic toolkit, a great day project
cheers, ben.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned