The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gsx rear diff

Jesh

i looked in the forums for probly 2 hours, (i might suck at it though, time will tell) i still couldn't find a straight up answer. Is a 3 bolt rear diff from a 1990 gsx automatic the same ratio as the stock vr4 3 bolt? i went and looked at it but the sticker apparently fell off some time ago so i don't know what it is. And if its not the same ratio are the differentials the same? not the whole rear diff or ring and pinion gears but the differential itself. if nobody knows i'll just have to experiment a little:) thanks guys.

broxma

The auto has a different final ratio if I recall.

/brox

fuel

auto is 3.307 usually.

Jesh

sorry i should have specified, i'm referring to the the galant gsx.

curtis

Not sure on that but I bet there the same as the 3.307 as quoted above. I have one here that I've been holding hoping I might find a weirdo JDM 5 speed box or something that came with a 3.307 so I can play with gearing, I think that and a set of evo gears would make for a fun gearbox. Plus would mph really nicely at the track.

fuel

No Jap 5 speed was 3.307 - that's restricted to the autos only. Your only choices as far as 80s and 90s Mitsu passenger cars go is 2.846, 3.545 and 3.909.

Jesh

okay so i finally got around to ripping the rear diff out of my 1990 galant gsx, (aka my parts car) i've already done the 4 bolt B1H swap on my vr4. but the LSD plates arn't working to good anymore, and i know Phantom Grip makes a LSD insert for the stock 3 bolt diff. so what i'm gunna try to do is take the 2 gears from the 4bolt differential (the ones that have splines on them for the bigger 4bolt axles) and see if i can put those in the stock 3 bolt diff and just get the Phantom Grip insert. and still use the 4 bolt casing. has anyone tried this before?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned