The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ground Control spring specs

tektic

So I have a set of Ground control sleeves from a 1g DSM with the the following springs.

(180.64.64)Front Coil-Over Spring: 2.500 in. Inside Diameter, 6.000 in. Length, 358 lbs./in.Spring Rate
(0700.250.0725)Rear Coil-Over Spring: 2.500 in. Inside Diameter, 7.000 in. Length, 275 lbs./in.Spring Rate
I think that's right for those numbers.

So I've been reading every thread i can find for the last few hours and the common theme is:
•Anything from a 1g makes the rear too low.
•Agx struts in the rear are to harsh

In this post it Here. Here Bob recomends 10" springs in the rear. hes using agx struts

Here It says the Fronts ~ 1" taller and rears are ~2" taller than a DSM
It also says there's only a difference of +.2" shock travel with the vr4 setup.
I don't really know what to make of it...

I have low mileage kyb gr2's for a dsm and these coilovers, Can i buy new springs for the rear and make a decent setup? Or just sell them and start over?

Last edited:

turbowop

I had GVR4 specific GC/GR2 combo on 503 when I owned it. Rode firm, but okay. I think the rear springs were an 8" free length.

*edit* Maybe my rear springs were a 10" length actually. I can't remember, unfortunately. Either way, since it's all adjustable, you should be able to use what you have. If you can't get enough height in the rear, just purchase some longer springs. I'd try what you got before spending anymore money first though.

Last edited:

tektic

I installed my rebuilt rear and everything is new besides the shocks and springs.
It's time to order springs .
What size do I need 8, 9, 10?
Please advise

blacksheep

Call groundcontrol - they can tell you what GVR4's need. They should be aware since many orders been placed thru them in the past.

KiNgMaRtY

My H&R Springs destroyed the KYB GR-2's and AGX's. I wonder how much time the'll survive with the GC's.
The VR-4 Specific rears are actually a bit stiffer than the 1G specifics

tektic

Well, I guess I'll find out.
358lbs./in. Front
275 lbs./ Rear
I found this combo recommended in at least 2 other places.
If the struts start leaking, I'll get new ones. Struts are an easy enough.

tektic

Revisiting this...
Ground control says their original kit for the vr4 was
7" 350lb up front and a 9"280lb in the rear

tektic

In the front I'm using a 7" 250lb spring and an excel g Galant struts. The springs are seated 3 threads down from the top and the ride height is perfect aesthetically. However there is very little travel in the setup.

I would like to get shorter struts so they will ride more in the sweet spot. Also an 8 inch 280 or 300 lb spring. Does that sound worth the effort and money?

Last edited:

tektic

I'm using a 7" 250lb spring and a excel g Galant strut. The springs are seated 3 threads down from the top and the ride height is perfect aesthetically. However there is very little travel in the setup.

I would like to get shorter struts so they will ride more in the sweet spot. Also an 8 inch 280 or 300 lb spring. Does that sound worth the effort and money?

KiNgMaRtY

I've never heard of the struts that you are running but I assume that they will be dead in no time. I would suggest stepping up to some Koni's if you want to get stiffer springs. Don't get the KYB AGX's either. I've killed those before with just H&R springs in regular street driving.
What do you want to do with the car? If it is just for street driving your suggested rates are very reasonable.

tektic

I think the kyb excel g are kyb gr2 but black instead of gray. Maybe the're older? If I switch to a DSM or 3000gt strut it will be shorter to start there for riding higher on the strut travel putting it in a better place for the strut to perform properly. I'm going to try to cross reference part numbers on rock auto later.

I think I should just buy the bilstein 3kgt inserts and make them work.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

The GR-2's are a good stock replacement strut but absolutely cannot handle and spring stiffer than stock. What you are feeling is the shock bottoming out because they cannot handle the springs.

Get Koni 1g fronts and Koni 2g rears. The are well known to handle spring rates of up to 500lb off the shelf and can be re-valved in the future if you need more out of them.

Bilsteins are also very good but are not adjustable. They will require more work to get them to work. You also have to consider whether the GC parts will fit on it as in the Evo world, the GC does not make a kit for the Evo Bilsteins.

Last edited:

vr4play

I run 2g rear koni struts with ground control adapters. It's just a piece that goes over the snap ring and then the collar can slide over. I flipped the rear collars and am running 7" rear springs. You just need to make brackets to hold the brake lines. Everthing else bolts right up and they are a touch shorter and externally adjustable. I am running 550# rear springs and 500# front springs. I didn't care for how the car handled with the springs that came from ground control. The car handles bad ass now although the shocks are maxed out and need be revalved. On my daily I plan to run 250# front and 300# rear with the same koni yellow shocks. The front are just 1g inserts put in KYB housings.

tektic

From my understanding, our cars should have stiffer springs in the front unlike the evo that has higher rates in the rear. I would like to get my hands on some 3kgt shocks with bilstein inserts for the front. Your right though I need to know if the sleeves I have will fit those strut bodies. I have to get a measurement of the stock 3kgt strut tube. My kit uses rubber o-rings as a filler around the galant shock body, so i'masuming they may fit without the o-ring.

I had the koni like 10 years ago and didn't really like them. I Want to try something new.

R36-5022-H0 insertPDF
OD 45.8mm (1.8")
Extended Length 480mm (18.89")
Collapsed Length 380mm (14.96")
Body Length 266mm (10.47")

fJYrFQN.png

Compared to kyb stock replacement:
3000GT Bilstien insert R36-5022-HO: Body: 10.47" Min: 14.96" Max: 18.89" Stroke: 3.93"
3000GT KYB 335013 Max: 18.98" Stroke: 5.79"
GALANT KYB 335030 Max: 19.07" Stroke: 5.69"
DSM KYB 335032 Max: 19.79" Stroke: 5.79"

Last edited:

VR4Scott

If using the 2g rear koni yellow which is 1 inch shorter than stock and the ground control gvr4 kit had a 9 inch rear spring, would you use a 8 inch rear spring?

tektic

I ended up using evo mr springs on 1g dsm gr2 shocks for the back of my car. You should be fine with the the 8 or the 9. My GC kit was dsm specific and had a 7" spring for the rear. I think the mr spring in my case was a better option. If you have the gvr4 specific kit it will work fine with the shorter shock.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned