The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RaceTuned's Street Car @ Mid Ohio Sport Car Course

Garage_Defeat

New Personal Best of 1:46 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. This is much improved over the 1:59 I ran in June. Quickest car in my group! Also, I was signed off by the instructors to join HPDE level 3 next time!

91 Summit White Galant VR4
Built, Tuned, Driven by me.
2.0L FP DSM Green XL @ 17 PSI
AEM EMS
BFGoodrich Rivals 225/50/16 Street tires
TCE Wilwood 4 Piston Front Brake 12.2" (from Mike Green's build circa 2004)
Manual Steering Rack
NO Anti-Lock Brakes

Drove it to the track.
Raced it for two full days (rain and dry).
Drove it home.

Youtube - RaceTuned Street Galant VR4 @ Mid Ohio July 2013

Enjoy!
-Dan

Last edited:

thecman02

The car and driving both looked great. What do you have for brake pad compounds?

LIV4PSI

I noticed alot of TiC videos on your channel, are you friends with Clint and those guys?

Garage_Defeat

Quoting thecman02:
The car and driving both looked great. What do you have for brake pad compounds?

I am still very green to road course driving, but thank you! Each lap I am trying different braking and turn-in points just trying to see what works and what the car is going to do. Balance seems pretty neutral and easy to throttle steer. It is certainly a very raw car with no steering or braking assist and the steering ratio is not ideal.

If I recall correctly, Todd from TCE recommended I try PolyMatrix B.

Garage_Defeat

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I noticed alot of TiC videos on your channel, are you friends with Clint and those guys?

We have worked with those guys for a few years now providing them with on-track engine management tuning for their Time Attack Subarus and a few client cars with AEM EMS. Overall, a great group to know!

-Dan

EMX5636

Looks like a ton of fun man! I was actually at New Jersey Motorsports park over the weekend and I got an itch to road-race the Galant. I guess brakes/suspension upgrades would be in order first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Not meant to be a personal question, but what does a normal track weekend cost for you? U can PM me if you want.

ade

nice carving, im jealous. i haven't had any track time in almost 4 years.

992gnt

Nice times. I miss sliding around that place in my Evo (don't miss having no brakes at the end of the back straight though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ). I'm also interested in your suspension mods; I'd like to get the VR4 on the track someday.

Garage_Defeat

Quoting EMX5636:
Looks like a ton of fun man! I was actually at New Jersey Motorsports park over the weekend and I got an itch to road-race the Galant. I guess brakes/suspension upgrades would be in order first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Not meant to be a personal question, but what does a normal track weekend cost for you? U can PM me if you want.

NASA HPDE webpage

2 days of HPDE (Sat/Sun) is $359. This includes track time, classroom sessions, and instructor ride-along (level 1's).
or 1 Friday HPDE is $209 for the same just compacted into one day.

Brake upgrading/cooling is very important. Do not, under any circumstance run a cross-drilled rotor. Full face will work just fine with a upgraded Hawk HPS or other aggressive pad will help. Just remember that you will need to keep them cool and you will need better than stock brake fluid like MOTUL, etc.

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
Nice video. What suspension setup do you have?

Used set of DMS Coilovers from Mike Green's build that need refreshed. I plan to remove them in the fall and have them rebuilt by MSI/DMS North America in the off season. Whiteline Front and Rear Swaybars (22mm/26mm) from the group buy in '04, RIP Mark K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. He was totally right about how awesome the car would feel with this combo.

I set up this street galant to be raw much like a heavy shifter kart with a very responsive high revving motor with lots of mid range coupled with a simple/reliable chassis. The manual rack provides a very connected feeling to the road, but the turning ratio is a bit high. No anti-lock brakes can get very sketchy so I must be really aware of the threshold point where the car is hard braking vs. lock up. (No Safety net)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned