The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel gauge problem

In #381 the fuel gauge hasnt worked properly even before i owned it. The previous owner told me when the tank is full it only reads 3/4 on the gauge. He said he changed out the sending unit with another one and still did the exact same thing. I pulled it out just to double check for my self and sure enough everything looks perfect. Is there a way to pull the cluster out and pull the needle off the gauge and move it with a full or do i need a new gauge/cluster? Any help would be appriciated.

DR1665

That's exactly what you're gonna have to do, dude.

Pulling the cluster is pretty straight forward. A couple tips that might help:

- unscrew the trip odo knob and set aside
- lower the steering wheel all the way

The trim surrounding the cluster has 2 screws pointing up on the top side. Once you remove those (that recess in front of the badge is a great place to keep these loose parts, by the way), gently pry the top down and towards the steering wheel. Once it flips down, you can slip it out to the side. From there, it should be pretty straight forward. 4 screws hold the cluster in place, if it hasn't come out in a while, you might need to wiggle it (just a little bit) to get the electrical connectors to pop loose.

From there, it's just a question of gently releasing the plastic tabs around the perimeter to get the perspex (clear part) free. You might want to top off the tank before you do this. Use your fingers (or a fork) to *gently* pry the needle from the hub and then stick it back on, again, *carefully* so as not to bend the hub, pointing just a hair to the right of the F.

Good luck. You can do this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned