The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Carbon Fiber Hood Group Buy (Feeler)

pot

Staff member
Quoting ghostinthevr4:
Here's a link to the carbon fiber hoods there's two models one is a Carbon Kevlar and is more money.

click

With this company I may still have a connect there, I'll have to contact some people.

This is dialogue I've exchanged with CFH based on the link ghostinthevr4 posted:

1.) What is the minimum quantity to produce = $600 x 10 = $6000
2.) Do you need a donor hood = yes
3.) Do you require a deposit/what amount = $6,000
4.) What would be total cost including shipping CONUS = Most addresses, east or west coast $175
5.) How long would it take to produce and ship = 3-4 months
6.) Is it possible to have a colleague visit your facility weekly or bi-monthly to check on the status of production? = no, if they travel to India then yes
7.) Are your hoods made in California or elsewhere? = elsewhere
8.) Are the hoods made of fiberglass with Carbon Fiber on the outer layer? = yes, outer layer only, if you want inner then triple the cost.
9.) This last question is farily lengthy. My collegue's tell me the JDM hood will have to be made into 3 pieces to apply the hood vents. The vents cannot be glued on as the heat will melt the glue. I would recommend you use those metal threaded eyelets that can be molded into the glass/weave.
I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you. = we can make it one piece

I'm still awaiting comment from one more vendor prior to making final arrangements (pending other member input) prior to going forwarding w/ taking orders.

G

Staff member
India doesn't sound good. 8 weeks of the wait time is probably shipping by sea. The 6k would def have to be on a cc.

strokin4dr

This sounds like a bad idea if they are being made overseas. Any other companies to check with?

minneSNOWta

^Seibon? They supposedly have fitment and appearance guarantees. Looks like 20 minimum. They are located in City of Industy, CA. Someone is probably nearby.

VR4Scott

I'm on the fence about fronting the whole price to Carbonetics. My reservation is a quality donor and guaranteed sales.

bobdole

Quoting minneSNOWta:
^Seibon? They supposedly have fitment and appearance guarantees. Looks like 20 minimum. They are located in City of Industy, CA. Someone is probably nearby.

I emailed Seibon a couple months ago. They wanted a ton of money to make it happen. They would be the best company to use. Very nice quality.

Wookalar

Pot, just for clarification, the glue hasn't melted, it's some aircraft industrial type glue that is very strong. The problem with gluing the vents in is that eventually the resin begins to crack from the heat, and once the vents start to crack there will be no way for me (or anyone really) to easily remove the vents from the hood, since they are glued in place.

I was thinking the only way for me to remove them would be to carefully dremel them out, which would take forever and require the steadiness of a surgeon's hand.

Kudos for keeping on this.

Check this article and you can see a picture of the threaded piece that is sandwiched in between the layers of carbon fiber for a bolt to thread in.

click

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

While we are discussing fasteners, Tanahashi brings a cutaway piece of foam-cored carbon fiber. What he shows is testament to the compulsive attention to the minutest detail. In the LFA, <b>through-fasteners don’t simply go through holes that are cut into the shell. They use special aluminum inserts that prevent the carbon fiber from being weakened by the pressure of a lug nut, or the chafing of a thread</b>.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

edit: Here is a good pic of the Aventador without body work, you can see where the metal frame bolts to the tub. They probably used those "through fasteners" like Lexus did with the LFA.

click

click

LFA

click

Last edited:

89Mirageman

What about VIS? I had an Evo III CF replica hood on a mirage about 7-8 years ago and it looked great. It had vents on it but I'm not sure how many pieces it was made of.

VR4Scott

I've got it setup now through carbonetics, just need a donor JDM hood to get it in process. Will have the prototype ready within 4 weeks.

Who wants to loan one?

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

So now there's two cf group buys.

pot

Staff member
Carbonetics looks promising, they were one of the three vendors I contacted based on VR4Scott's suggestion. I haven't heard anything from them since contacting them earlier this week though. But hey if you have something set up -awesome. I look forward to hearing the terms.

As far as two Group Buy's, my original intent was to get the creative juices flowing across the gvr4 community. It VR4Scott gets this off the ground than I've met my intent and I can go back to having a hood on my galant.

Last edited:

VR4Scott

Pot, we just need a JDM hood to make the mold of with vents in good shape. I'm going to pay Carbonetics.

Last edited:

VR4Scott

Southern Cali

Wookalar

Make sure you send the jdm heat shield that goes with the jdm hood so that the person making it can make sure everything lines up and the heat shielding can be bolted on.

If either of you need the shield someone has one listed on ebay with vents:

click

transparentdsm

Quoting VR4Scott:
Pot, we just need a JDM hood to make the mold of with vents in good shape. I'm going to pay Carbonetics.

i have one on 138 that could be used.

VR4Scott

It needs to be delivered to
Carbonetics
6051 Business Center
San Diego, CA 92154

PM me for details.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned