The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front strut spring removal & installation question

MMCVR4

I have the AGX/H&R combo on the fronts and wanted to know if I can get away without using a spring compressor to remove and install the springs. A friend of mine installed my suspension before and I'm now replacing the front struts with GR-2. Also, will this method apply for the rears?

Diego

If you don't have a spring press bench, your better off not doing it. Might run into a lot of problems, if not installed yet just take it to a local shop and have them install them... if springs and shocks are out do the same thing, and then install yourself.

Best advice I can give you my friend.

That's what I'm doing with my gr2s when I get them

Going gr2/h*r's here and that's my choice of method when I go to install

solidviper89

Don't do it, you could literally kill yourself, ask me how I know. I rented a spring compressor at Vatozone, it was my first time using it, and I put the spring on to loosen the springs to replace them on front. The funny part is I was loosening the bolt, I strut pointing at my face (had spring in between legs), and for whatever reason I thought to myself "oh wow I should really just sit on a tire and put spring against tire, and remove the nut", holy sh*t epicness followed, I put wrench on nut and span less than a whole turn, the spring pushed off the tire and shot out the strut in a loud BAM!, these were OEM OG stockers even after nearly 20 years had enough tension in the first 2 coils to shoot the strut a good 30 feet (atleast).

Yea so don't do it unless you know how to use one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Staff member
Grab 4 metal wire hangers. Use 2 per spring. Take the hangers apart & feed them through the coils & reconnect them with pliers. Use one on each side of the spring from the top coil spanning down to the bottom coil. Tighten them with tension. Then remove the top hardware & they will not kill you.

Last edited:

Barnes

Interesting tip G, never heard that one but it makes sense. Another trick I saw for disassembly was to put the wrench/ratchet on the top nut. As you are holding the wrench in place, take the entire strut assembly and turn it upside down. Set the top of the strut on the ground with the wrench still on the nut. So the wrench will be pressed onto the ground. Now rotate the strut body in the correct direction to loosen the nut as the wrench is held in place by the ground or your foot. You don't get small bits flying off into space and the strut is heavy enough that it generally won't bounce up very far.

Or just get some spring compressors as you need them anyways to install the front springs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whoodoo

First of all, not all spring compressors are created equal. Second, as long as you realize that you are storing tons of energy in that spring so just be careful and watch where you're pointing it. You'll be fine

broxma

There is another way to do it without a spring compressor which makes it relatively mindless. Do it on the car.

Lift the front of the car and take off the wheel. Put a good floor jack under the end of the front control arm by the ball joint and jack it up so it lifts the arm a slight amount, compressing the spring. Remove the top nut. Lower the jack slowly. The top hat will still be bolted in place and the jack holds the spring pressure. The strut assembly will not budge when you remove the top nut and then you just let the jack down, viola. Then remove the two strut/spindle bolts, the brake line holder and remove the strut with the spring on. To reinstall, reverse the order. I prefer to remove half the jack handle of my floor jack to reinstall so I can guide with one hand and jack with the other.

/brox

MMCVR4

Not a bad idea! Anyway, anyone know if the AGX can be revalved? Is it worth doing it, or it's better to just buy a new one?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned