The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

from a evo to a vr4?

fuel

Quoting BrandonEchols:
Quoting FavNumber:
I want a X
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The X is not an Evo IMO - no 4G63, no care.
Plus it's a fuckin' behemoth - abandoned the rally roots and is more like a grand touring saloon if you ask me.
Last true Evo was the XI.

Evo is more than just Lancers dontchaknow.

dsmgst

Quoting evox2vr4:
Want to trade? Cash on your end? HahaQuoting dsmgst:
im about to do the same. i regret getting rid of my vr4. i now have an EB ix with super low miles, and i absolutely love the car but there are just too many driving around. i miss that unicorn feeling the galant had lol.

anyone looking to step up to an evo, lmk!

all i gots is 15k on top???

boostx

I do miss #23 after driving another VR4 last night.. The year that #23 JSB i worked on the car everyday.. Now my new ride is JBS and weeks go by without it being touch.. These dam DSM and Mitsubishi's

Last edited:

Quoting fuel:
Quoting BrandonEchols:
Quoting FavNumber:
I want a X

Plus it's a fuckin' behemoth - abandoned the rally roots and is more like a grand touring saloon if you ask me.

Typical opinion of the x, but my x whooped on plenty of ix's in its day...some on e85...potential is there in the 4b11

blacksheep

Ok, I have owned 11 GVR4's and 5 Evo's (on the 5th one now) - So, I can speak plainly about this subject

The Evo is far far superior which it should be coz it is an evolution after all (pun intended). The gvr4 is a cool sleeper and definitely rarer has positive attributes, but the Evo is definitely stronger from factory, far more capable and the 4g63 in it can take some serious punishment.

Now on to the Evo X, no matter that its not a 4g63 - the 4B11 is a terrific motor. AMS did a teardown and showed where all its been strengthened. I talked to Jon at TRE and he said his tranny and rear diff teardowns also show where its been improved and made stronger.

October 2011 - Car and Driver - The Evo X MR T won the best handling car out of 6 cars. The Evo will always have its downside of shoddy interior and rough ride, mitsu paint quality etc, but it still does what its know to do best. The Evo X is referred more than once in many mags as to being a mini-GTR which I think is a compliment

The gvr4 will always hold a special place in my heart, great cars for their time and definitely cooler and rarer etc. I would own another completely stock one someday thats not rusted and rotted, if I could.

Hittman

I have an Evo 8 and GVR4...its cool being able to switch between driving cars, the VR4 feels like an older version/clunkier of the Evo, and the Evo feels like a more refined version of the VR4

alansupra94

Interesting. My opinion was the Evo 8 was a more tame/comfortable car where as my VR4 was just raw.

I have ZERO clunkiness in my car and that is before I replace all my bushing and swap to a nice suspension setup.

KiNgMaRtY

It all depends on how you have it setup as well. My Galant VR-4 with the H&R Springs and Koni yellows all around runs softer than my evo on stock suspension

prove_it

Never owned an evo, but it's my opinion (and defense) that I'd rather sink 7k in my vr4 to go fast rather than pay 15k for the car and another 7k on top of that to build a race car.

Sure we have to do maintenence and replace factory parts, but once that's done it's a new car again and still costs less than straight up buying a new car.

My other agruement is that most of the dsmers have been trading in to get Evo's because it's newer and more trendy. Evo's have become the new eclipse's. I've seen so many evos now that I'm bored of them. I've seen clean well built ones, stock ones, and horribly crappy hacked up ones.

I own and drive a VR4 because it takes a real car guy to buy, build and maintain the VR4. It takes passion and when you see a well built one, or one in progress it's a whole other feeling than seeing the same thing over and over and over again.

My two cents.

alansupra94

I guess I must be the only one planning to keep their VR4 forever?

I just like standing out from the crowd.

prove_it

Come on reread my post,

I'll never part from a vr4.

thecman02

Don't have an evo but back to back drive them all the time. Only thing I really want from the evo is the active center diff/sawd/ayc. Compared to the evo 10 so to speak. The car just feels big and slow. Compared to the evo 8/9 I wish I had their trans. The box is just so much stronger. My poor evoIII internal gear box just has to do. I wish I had the brakes and lock to lock steering speed. With all that said I'm waiting for GW to get the evo brake setup done. I have an extra steering column that I'm going to install a quickner on once I get time to.

Another thing that I like are the seats, which I just got done swapping into my car.
If I had to pick a car for daily driving/cross country it would be the EVO X. Comfortable and quiet. If I had to race competitively it would be a 9.

I have the Galant though because its everything I need and can do most of the stuff I want. The stuff I don't like I change.

Last edited:

turbofonz

Quoting BrandonEchols:
Quoting FavNumber:
I want a X

Ugh... so many people say this.

Drive a bolt on X and tell me you don't like it. All newer cars are heavier than their predecessors, It's still a terror on the track and just bolt ons the cars MOVE.

They're great cars and even better dailys than the old ones

IncorpoRatedX

No 4G63, no care.

RedTwo

Quoting fuel:
Quoting BrandonEchols:
Quoting FavNumber:
I want a X

Yeah, it's more about the Delta's, M3's and 205 Maxi's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbofonz

Quoting Alpha Male:
No 4G63, no care.

An evo 8's and 9's 4g63 is worlds different than our VR-4's. The 4b11 motor evolved from what the 4g63 paved, but because it's not a 4g63, it's worthless to you?

Makes a lot of sense.

Brunoboy

why destroy a good thing ^?

turbowop

I love these threads that compare a GVR4 with any Evo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

Some guys like old school, some like new. You could say the same about pretty much any car out there that has evolved over the years to be a better performance car, yet some guys prefer the older models, me included. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess I'm a fan of the unique, not the cookie-cutters.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Quoting alansupra94:
I guess I must be the only one planning to keep their VR4 forever?

I just like standing out from the crowd.

your not the only one buddy, I dont plan on ever getting rid of mine either. I love that car soo much

Barnes

Can't buy one cash, so I don't care. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned