The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP Green

GVR-4

Has anybody installed one of these on their Galant? I'm doing it now and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the install.

GVR-4

Did you have an issue with the comp cover pointing directly on the front motor mount? I couldn't even get a 90 degree coupler on there. I ended up clocking the cover about 12-15 degrees and modifying the wastegate actuator bracket. I'm sure FP will say I voided the warranty, but it wouldn't fit otherwise. Are the 1g motor mounts different? For a plug & play turbo, this install is more time consuming than I expected.

Last edited:

Mine is externally gated, so I can't help you there. I clocked the comp housing considerably to better suit my piping. I also had the comp housing modified with a weld on elbow.

The front mount bracket on a 1G is different though, would probably give you about a half inch extra to work with, but that info is useless because you have to use the galant bracket.

turbowop

Back when I had mine, the only issue was that I had to clearance the water pipe to fit the compressor housing. I also had mine clocked upward like Justin and used an external wastegate. No need for a smaller radiator. Hell, I even used the stock radiator fan with a 3" intake pipe.

thedsmguy

Well, your right, now that I think about it its not the turbo's fault I'm using a small radiator, its more of a function of my intercooler.

Sorry for the confusion.

GVR-4

No confusion. It's in, clocked comp cover, internal gate with modded actuator bracket, mounted like a 20g, stock fan and 3" intake. I may go for a drive tonight. Thanks for the replies.

GSX_TC

Pics?

GVR-4

Went for a drive. It needs a tune. Left it on low boost (15 psi) and saw knock on some pulls and none on others. This is on a 2.3 and the previous turbo was a big 16g. Very different.

I don't have any pics of the competed install yet, but here are a few of the process:

Last edited:

I'm jealous of the 14 blade comp wheel. My Green is a few years old, granted barely used, but it only has a 12 blade version

GVR-4

The actuator came with the turbo. But FP could have sourced it from anywhere, including the same supplier that Holset uses.

I'll try to snap some pics of the finished product and post them today.

GSX_TC

Do the new Greens use billet compressor wheels now?

GVR-4

I think so. Here's a link to the latest info on the Green directly from the owner Robert:

click

GSX_TC

sweet

GVR-4

Here are a couple pics of the completed project:

Here's a link to a previous mod I did a couple of years ago:

click

GSX_TC

is your filter going to the very bottom?

GVR-4

I cut a hole in the sheet metal where the stock battery used to be and used a 4" 90* silicon elbow connected to a K&N filter in order to put the filter in front of the plastic fender liner for a cold air intake.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned