The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Found my winter project for 425/1000.

Terry Posten

I took JC and his cleaning crew out to dinner tonight and I noticed a clicking sound in 1st gear. It seemed to go away once shifted.

Well, after commenting on a weird noise to JC that it may be an axle, I decide to lay down the throttle after taking a slow right turn onto a 4 lane highway (sure way to find those pesky weak bits).

I revved to about 5K while the car was rolling about 10mph, slipped the clutch very quickly. The car lunged forward and then BOOM, CLUNK, CLUNK, POP, BANG, JERK, BOOM. I let off the gas and coasted into a gas station. The car was kind of jerking intermittently as she coasted down to a stop.

The stick felt mostly OK when trying to find a gear. Seemed like everything was there (not like a broken fork). When I tried to let the clutch out in 1st, it was locked up (kinda). I had JC and his crew push her a little bit while trying to find a gear that worked.

Finally after a lot of jerking and popping, I found 3rd was starting to free up. I babied her the last 1/2 mile home at a snails pace while guarding the clutch. It has a very small jerk in the very beginning but I was able to make it home without any further issues. But I did keep it in 3rd.

onesickcrx

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry dude atleast you can improve over stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

brisvr4

^^ What the Wop said! Should be plenty of crunchy bits inside the box now.

onesickcrx

Bite the bullet buy Shep stage 4 brand new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brianawd

Shep/TRE/Jacks/Dogbox/Englishracing. They are all just as good seeing how they all use the same parts.

I just relized that Shep lives less then 10 minutes from my house not to long ago. Neighbor built him a 440 for his truck. Great guy and he makes great trannies. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

TylerAdamson

Quoting Brianawd:
Shep/TRE/Jacks/Dogbox/Englishracing. They are all just as good seeing how they all use the same parts.

True they all use the same parts, but its the tolerances that they shim them to that set them apart. I could use all of the same parts and assemble a tranny and I'm pretty sure it will never equate to a Shep tranny.

jared50438

i had it happen too! go to far and you may wear a hole in something and then not have a good core. off subject i know but where did you get the aluminum mounts?!

Brianawd

Quote:
True they all use the same parts, but its the tolerances that they shim them to that set them apart. I could use all of the same parts and assemble a tranny and I'm pretty sure it will never equate to a Shep tranny.

So what your saying is A shep tranny is better than say a Jacks or a englishracing trans because he shims them different? You know this for sure. Because if that the case I need to run out and buy a shep trans

GVR-4

The only thing I can think of that would make a difference is the experience of trial and error to know exactly what preload/endplay (read: shims) results in the best shifting tranny, if it's other than the OEM specs.

turbowop

I think all the Mitsu tranny guys have been doing it long enough now to know the magical shimming procedure needed for a great shifting transmission, which is what Brian is trying to say.

4thStroke

Shep is Shep, he's going to get top dollar for the same tranny anyone else can build because his name is on it.

In the end, The Mitsu 5 speed is only so strong and they will all fail when pushed hard enough.

I didnt ever slam gears with my built 5 speed (clutch wouldnt allow it) so my shifts were always relaxed. I toasted the intermediate shaft, center diff, 3rd, and the double cone 3/4 stuff after I was in 3rd making a pull.

All of the above shops have well established reputations for a reason. All of them do high quality work with good components that are set properly. As long as you stick with an established DSM tranny builder, you should be fine.

Terry Posten

Started the disassembly today. Did not get too much done. Did drain the fluids and the tranny fluid was not chunky but was quite sparkly.

Some body needs to come over and motivate me. I just don't want to be doing this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif It takes me like 2hrs to drop the transmission using floor jacks and stands. It's the reinstall by myself that I usually need motivation for. Get your ass out there and do it!

Terry Posten

I already pulled the rad, IC piping that needs to be removed, battery earlier today.

In the last hour, the axles are out, exhaust is out, BIG bolts are in the hubs so I can put the tires on and push it around later, tires are back on.

I will probably pull all the electrical out tomorrow and get the AC and PS pumps dropped out of the way. Then it really is just drop the TC, get the fuel lines out, drop the oil cooler, connect the puller, remove motor mounts and lift straight out.

Next weekend I have a friend coming over with a puller and we will get it all out then.

I want to fix the oil leak while it is on the engine stand, paint the entire engine bay with rattle can white and put a coat of black on all the lower parts.

I really need to get a new radiator (still the stock unit - discolored and all) but no biggie.

More later.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned