The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Former lurker goes legit: Two GVR4's to sort out UNK/2000 and 1746/2000

snailspool

Well, all this project is waiting on is a manifold. The one fabbed up had horribly warped flanges, after welding. Is that normal? Should major machining be mandatory after welding a exhaust manifold?

snailspool

As some of you know, i sold my blue 2.3l Talon. I could not even go two weeks without buying another car. On a whim, i was browsing colorado springs craigslist (I live 380 miles away), and saw her, the car i have wanted for a very long time. A 1989 mitsubishi mirage, one of 1500 imported. :shock: the price was right, so i called on a tuesday night, left on a greyhound wednesday afternoon, got to co wednesday night, and drove it home through the night, finishing the trip by sleeping in the parking lot at work for an hour before i had to wake up and step into work. :lol:

PO did not know very much about it, and i think that's one reason i got it for a great price. Here is the rundown i found out by inspection.

The good:
4g61, likely stock.
EvoIII running 25 psi (33 lbs/min)
Wideband
rewired fuel pump
Dsmlink 2.5
~1000 cc FIC injectors
E85
2g MAS
FMIC
BMW HID 55w headlights

The bad:
Lowered on cut springs with tennis balls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif (PITA)
Heater doesnt work (probably clogged with stop leak to stop WP from leaking)
leaking from weep hole in WP (have a replacement ready)
clutch slips (needs adj, i think)

And yes, i did remove most of the stickers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif :lol:

Just thought some of y'all might be interested.

And yes, I'm still waiting on the Manifold for my UNK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

snailspool

$2000 + 40 for the bus ticket. At first I thought it was a screaming deal, but the springs, clutch, and heater issues were unmentioned. Fortunately those are, seemingly, not too expensive of repairs. Im regrading the deal to great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GSTwithPSI

Considering the rarity, finding one in even decent condition is nearly impossible. I still think you got a screaming deal, judging from the pictures and the mod list. There are enough good mods on the list to warrant half the price tag alone. I'm jelly. How's the interior look?

ktmrider

LOL knew you had been looking for awhile, guess I'll retract the "extra driveway slot" for now.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snailspool

Thanks GST, the interior is in very good shape, however the Recaro were R&R with clean black talon cloth seats.

Mike, if you ever need some space, just LMK. I can make it happen if need be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snailspool

Quick update. She has been up and running for a few months now! Went to the track and did a 12.80 bracket race event in the summer. Her best was a 12.82 @ 110. There was more in her, but this was at 17 psi and 7100' DA, and i didn't want to break out. The clutch has started to slip on launches, but that may be due to a AWS leak that started around the same time. Anywho, here are some pics!

next up will be 1746...

snailspool

Still out and about, this was at the top of our mountain (10000') the other night when we got some snow, cyclones for all!

snailspool

Began a SMIM install, along with 1650's and a walbro 450. Doing wire looming and wire tuck while im in there. New goal of 11's at our high altitude on the BW S200sx.

The original plan was full streetability with this car, but now that i have 2 3000gt vr4's (they make great street cars) I can go a little racecar with the GVR4.

Its been a challenge to keep the cruise control and AC intact while trying to build a racecar, but last year i was sitting in my 89 mirage turbo at the dragstrip and the 90+ temps made me realize, im too old and too good at working with these cars to deal with the heat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Question: The 1650's are FIC blumax. I have read some disparaging things about these injectors for part throttle. Any Tips? DSMLink V3 full, 2G MAF, and AFPR.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Whats your moniker on the CSM board? C53a or swapped for the win!

Love to see the G out in the powder. Almost makes me want boost in my Legacy wagon, almost, but no.

snailspool

Snailspool on that board too. That one got sold though, once you have been AWD for years, its hard to go back to big power FWD. It was fun while i had it though!
Thanks! I was very suprised at how easy it was to control the snow with the AWS. Popped out the rear when i wanted, and kept it inline when i was just cruising. I could feel the difference in the transition at 30ish MPH.
Well, back to work on the SMIM!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned