The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Factory Wheel Colors

Hey, everyone...

This may be a silly question, but I'd really like to know, so bear with me. I have a 1992 VR4 with the factory wheels. I'd like to have them refinished since they have gotten a little dull, however, as they are rather dull, I can't tell what color they used to be. Originally, are they supposed to be plain, gloss black, or are they supposed to be body color? I haven't checked for the paint code yet, but I'm guessing that my car is Nile Black (since it looks kind of, well, black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif )

Thanks in advance for the help, everyone!

Yes, USDM GVR-4 wheels matched the body color. Others chime in if there were exceptions, but that's all I've ever seen. By the way, I'm glad to see I'm not the only newbie with a join date in 2005. Looks like we need to get our posts up.

Thanks and Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out if I refinish my wheels, if sending them off will be a possibility, or if I will run the risk of them being painted the wrong black. A friend of mine restored his 911, and he had one of his wheels restored by one of those wheel refinishing services that you see in the back of car magazines. The refinished wheel looks great, but it doesn't look right because they gave the lip a more mirror polish instead of a satin finish that it should have. I'm worried about something like that happening.

I may just clean them up, bead blast them, and then get some extra paint mixed up for when I do some body touch-ups, and spray them myself. I'll have to look at my wheels more closely for curb rash before I decide for certain, though...

As far as post count, I post about as much as I drive my VR-4, so I plan on being a "newbie" for a while. I've barely put 4K miles on my car since I bought it a few years ago, and most of that was in the first year of ownership. (Last year I drove it less than 500 miles, and this year is on track to be even less.) Being that most questions I would have could be answered with a search, and I don't have a whole lot to add to the discussion, increasing my post count doesn't look very likely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If anyone else wants to corroborate, that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks again!

Rausch

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if I refinish my wheels, if sending them off will be a possibility, or if I will run the risk of them being painted the wrong black.

Grab the paint code for the car. That will at least help in getting the right color, as the Nile black is definitely not a 'regular black'. The paint won't be an exact match, as the car may be just a touch lighter from the sun, weather, etc., but it should be close enough.

Some places can take a small chip and match the paint, but that might be overkill for refinishing the wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I took the paint code from my car - went to local auto paint store - they mixed me a pint.
Had a local guy paint the wheels and they are verry close. (if you try you can see a difference)

fivestardsm

I am 99% sure that the Nile black paint code is: XB-8

Quoting SteveHebert:
I took the paint code from my car - went to local auto paint store - they mixed me a pint.
Had a local guy paint the wheels and they are very close. (if you try you can see a difference)

I'm really leaning towards going in that same direction (except that I would spray them myself.) It may take me a little while, though. I'm slow about my normal projects, so Galant projects move at geological speeds. What can I say? How quickly I get things done on a car is a pretty directly related function of how much I drive a car. Seeing as how I can count the number of times I've had the VR-4 our this year on one hand... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll probably get a PDR guy to massage out any dings on the car, then get a pint or two of paint mixed up to paint the wheels and touch up a few spots. That should get my Galant looking quite spiffy, and I've already got a custom fitted car cover on the way, so that should help keep it that way. As you've probably guessed, my VR-4 plan is mostly geared towards preservation.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting fivestardsm:
I am 99% sure that the Nile black paint code is: XB-8

Close but no cigar. Here's our paint codes:

Summit White
W09

Belize Green
G31

Nile Black
X68

Kensington Grey
H52

Quoting mudnsnow:
Yes, USDM GVR-4 wheels matched the body color. Others chime in if there were exceptions, but that's all I've ever seen. By the way, I'm glad to see I'm not the only newbie with a join date in 2005. Looks like we need to get our posts up.

Here is an exception:

Jenn's car came with polished 5 spokes for as long as anyone can go back. Probably some weird dealer option. But an exception nonetheless. Those wheels are currently on their red Mirage and they are super hot.

img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned