The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine bay paint

1badgvr4

Does anbody have any clue as to what paint would be the closest match to nile black as far as a spray can goes? I don't want to use that color code paint from napa because im afraid it will dull and look like crap after awhile. I need some thing that is durable and good looking.

89Mirageman

Why not buy or borrow a paint gun and get a pint or two from the local autobody supply store? Clear it afterwards and have a finish as good as the oem finish that will resist stains and look great. In other words, paint it just like you would the exterior of the car.

1badgvr4

I've never painted anything and I think it would look like crap if i did. Dont want to see orange peel all over the bay, but I guess I could wet sand it.

bmod530

I recently repainted half of my engine bay where the original color was lacking. I used Rustoleum Professional enamel, along with the professional primer. I was trying to match the summit white, and it turned out a little brighter than the exterior, but still looks pretty good. I think that black would not be that hard to match. Just pick up a high or semi gloss to make it cleanable.

1badgvr4

That was what I was thinking. Did you do alot of sanding or did you just prime and paint? How many coats do you recommend?

bmod530

all you have to do is remove all the rust completely and sand down the preexisting paint, then lay the primer, then paint. Just follow the instructions on the can. I used a lot of paint (almost the whole can)to make it durable, but 3-4 coats should do it. Looked like this in the end....

Vman911

Dean,

Order a car of black to match car in base coat( in spraycan) and also buy a can of clear. Its 20 for base coat and 9 for clear.
Thats what I did for mine. Looks great. You know...
click

Vinman

G

Staff member
Try this hardline > click This stuff rocks.

Last edited:

Dan D

Just don't put an enamel paint over a laquer primer (most automotive rattle cans are laquer). It will peel. If you paint it, pick a paint system and stick to it. I used some duplicolor automotive that was close to summit white, their primer and one can to touch up my engine bay when the engine was out. It seems to be holding up well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned