The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Factory turbo gauge

RedTwo

Assuming I'm reading the ecu pin outs correctly, does anyone know what voltage/ampage the little factory turbo boost bar graph inside the tacho runs on? ie: x volts/amps per bar?

It doesn't work on volts or amps. It is pulsewidth modulated to ground by the ECU. I'm sure you could probably activate it also by a variable voltage, but that isn't how it is operated now. One side of the gauge is +12 vdc, the other connects to the ECU, to a driver chip, which is controlled by the CPU.

RedTwo

Well, I don't have a MMC ECU so it doesn't do anything at the moment. I spotted that the Innovative LC-1/DX-16? has what I understand to be an adjustable/programmable secondary voltage out put. My plan was to hook it up to the dash gauge, but it sounds like it wont really turn out.

belize1334

You just need a little rc circuit that will turn a voltage into a pulse-width. You could make one with a 555 timer chip and some resistors / capacitors. Otherwise I'm SURE that you could buy one pre-made. The issue will just be getting the voltage to PW curve to match up to the LC1 output and the gauge input.

stevep

I'm pretty sure that the LED display has a capacitor somewhere that is converting the pulse width into a voltage and the display turns on the LED in response to the voltage.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned