The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust manifold studs

gmp

there is this way click
And or this way click again

I have done both and had success with both

Going to give it some more go's this weekend but was just throwing out there in case someone was bored this weekend LOL

1990ggsxnj

did you take the power steering bracket off yet?

I have not taken the bracket off. I started to and then realized that it seemed to be a bigger job than expected hehehe

rgeier11

I had this very same exact problem last summer. Same exhaust stud. I ended up throwing an old A/C compressor across my front yard I was so pissed off.

You should remove the radiator, power steering pump, as well as the power steering bracket. I was able to get a 90* bend for a drill from a friend in order to wedge into that spot. It probably took me half a day to get that one stud out. I always used the drill, then extractor method. It has worked, but only after plenty of headaches.

Good luck, I know it sucks.

Here is an example of the 90* piece for the drill.
90_degree_DrillHead.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikus

I used an air compressor drill - they have smaller bodies than electric drills. Was able to keep radiator in.

I got the 90 bend from Sears so have been using it. I can definetely get on it with the drill as well as put decent pressure on it. I think the story here is my bits are just sh*t. I didn't get the chance to pickup some new ones this weekend so hopefully I will have time this week. It doesn't seem to matter if I push hard or barely push or drill fast or slow. It just doesn't bite. I have to assume its the bits.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned