The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 cams?

thadirtybird

working on getting a set myself, good pics punisher. they really helped out as far actually see the difference in the alignment marks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif i would like for one of the people who said that they had done this mod to help point others in the right direction for " CORRECTLY " installing these into our cars with all the parts and info to back it up, because the last thing someone would want to be is the ginny pig and ruin a good running motor in the process. just my .02 thanks -robert-

toybreaker

iconoclast
I've been drinking, so forgive me if this is totally assbackwards....

Can't you just rotate the firing order 90* instead?

Move the plug wires and injector clips one cylinder earlier in the firing order (or later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

The cams will still have the same timing, and the ecu will still think it's firing #1...but it's actually firing #3 (or #2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)...

And you could just check the ignition timing...using the new #1 for the signal.

???

I believe I'll have another beer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

That would probably work too, but still not ideal since you would have to remember how the plug wires and injectors and CAS were switched around the next time you needed to work on it. I know of a few people who could machine the proper slot in the EVO intake cam if it comes to that. Wouldn't require that much precision, as long as it points the correct way and is centered you'd be fine, but again, not ideal. I too want to hear from the people who said they'd done this install. I'm not giving up yet, and there are several ways to make it work, but may not be as easy a "bolt on" install as it first seemed. Somebody show us what we're missing!

also according to the link posted on the top of pg3, the intake and ex cams are in fact different on the evo. so swapping might not be the greatest idea.

They are slightly different, but not by much. Not like its going to choke the motor.

Just got a pair of cams myself so maybe this weekend I'll have the opportunity to pull my head off the shelf in the garage and take a look at this. Like I said before, if no bolt on solution can be found I'll just have the intake cam slotted and be done with it. Still only like an $80 outlay for a little upgrade in cam specs, but may not be worth the trouble for most. But hey, if you never try anything, you won't learn anything.

Rausch

ok, so whats the official verdict on this deal here??? the more i read, the more confused i get. i have seen bolt on and go, no way it'll work, and a whole lot in between. the CAS portion of the subject makes sense. unless i am missing something, but other than that, WTF? can we get a difinitive answer here. if it has already been done, where are the people that said they did it? could someone in the know just buck up and lay it out here? either it works, or it doesn't, little modification to make it work, fine, just someone please clearly state the facts.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

We've been discussing the CAS fitment for a week and still no reply from the people who said they have installed these before?

JSchleim18

All i know is that i have a set of Evo Cams and Cam Gears i'm lookin to let go of (in the MISC. F/S Section)...so if anyone is interested PM me

how come you decided not to use them in your galant?

Last edited by a moderator:

JSchleim18

I need the money more than anything...I was really gonna put them in to test the waters to see if it is true that they work but i blew my turbo and i am using all the money to buy my new setup...if i don't sell them for what i am looking for then i will just keep them and test them out. also my internals i believe are pretty good so i don't wanna open it up yet until i need to rebuild her (rather just get everything done in one shot)

a cam swap on a dohc motor isnt really opening anything up.
its too bad you couldnt put them in, lots of people are curious about the real world validity of this swap.

JSchleim18

yeah i know i'm kinda hungry to find out as well...only because they are lighter and should increase midrange power and spool up...i think they would be a great cheap upgrade for someone looking to improve their powerband.

did anyone ever install these cams? i think a lot of people are waiting to see if it will actually work without any complications.

dan

I was under the impression the v8sareslo had done it many times, hopefully he will chime in here soon. And then again I could be just wrong.

yea, i have a chance to pick some up for cheap, but i don't want to be throwing my money to the wind.

85tr

I just got a set i will be putting in maybe thursday if i do ill let u all know if they work

Rausch

please do! and make sure you are careful, check everything. just to make sure you don't damage anything due to an oversight. good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JSchleim18

I think this may help...Brian Crower Cams sells the 4G63 Cams and i noticed in a magazine that they are both the same exact application for the Evo and GVR-4 (so no difference there)...so i would say that i am 99% sure they will fit and work (stock evo cams in a GVR-4)...but good luck with the install and let me know how it goes...btw - i have evo cams n gears for sale...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts