The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 cams?

Rausch

i'm sure the ramp angles are not the same. but i would wager a guess to say that they are similar enough to not have a dramatic effect. if the angles were too steep, the valve springs would not ber able to keep up at higher RPM's, not to mentions the valves themselves. this is a street car, and the profile is not too aggressive, so i figure you should be good to go. just don't buy EVO 280's and try to make those work!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
If their identical duration and lift, why would you go thru the trouble of doing that?

Identical duration and lift does not mean identical cams. Valve timing and possibly lob profiles are also factors in determining which cam goes where. I'm not say it will be a problem or even that you'd get more performance by doing what I said, but all cams with the same lift and duration are not necessarily the same.

John

While this may be true, if it's been done already, and it's been proven to work, then it's pointless to even worry about it. The cams don't really care which valves they're opening, and if it works by switching them, so be it. Drilling this or dowling that is just extra money spent on a mod that works as is and is intended as a useful low-buck improvement over the stock offering.

Just my two pennies worth.

Quote:
Because not everyone wants huge cams. I personally would pay 100 at the most for a set of used Evo cams. I am sure I could find a set at that price too or cheaper.

Not everyone needs a FP 3065 and not everyone needs BIG cams. The stock Evo 260 cams are an improvement over stock and will benefit a normal 300-350hp 16g powered street car plenty.

Also, to add to what you said, not only to do you get a slightly more aggresive cam, the Evo cams are hollow and lighter. A friend of mine picked some up for $35 on ebay. He also got the cam gears for something like $30 too.

Myles

Just picked up a pair of cam gears from Mark at AMS and my evo 8 cams are on the way. Hopefully they among other things will be taken care of around spring.

ok...everybody talking about evo 8 cam..but in malaysia it hard to get those cam cheap...but easy to get evo 4 to 7 cam ...are the cam duration same as evo 8? anybody can share the info...my buddy can get a set of cam from evo 4...but dunno if it is worth it like evo 8 or not.

mr.mitsu

so is there an actuall "yes, they work" or "NO, don't try it"???

i'm strongly considering this mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Yes they'll fit the head and they'll work, the big question is will they do what you want them to do?

It's a bit bigger cam than the factory bits, and for someone looking for a cam that will get the most out of a bigger turbo like the 16G, bigger exhaust, TB, etc., and still want to keep the car somewhat civilized for daily driving, then yeah, they'll work really well.

When I ahd my Talon I didn't have this option. Frankly, I wish I had. The cams I used were great for the track, but sucked on the street. These would ahve been perfect.

They were a regrind I had done. I was on a somewhat tight budget when I built the car so I opted to have the cams reground rather than spring for new ones. It was also the first 4cyl car that I actually did any tuning with, so I was experimenting quite a bit. Anyway, the specs (if I remember right, it's been over five years) were .415/.390 lift 274deg. duration 214/[email protected]. Worked great for the track, or if I was just out on open roads messin' around, but in traffic I came to hate them.

Last edited by a moderator:

punisher

I've got a set! I'll post pics as soon as I take some. The intake and exhaust do look identical except for the cas slot. You can use the stock dsm cam gears, make a timing mark 11 teeth away counter clockwise. I'm still curious about the cas, the slot in the evo cam is a full 90' off, my cas simply doesn't have that much adjustment.

I am still curious about any power gains though. According to Brian Crower's website http://www.briancrower.com/ the stock evo cams have 248' duration, .386 lift intake and .367 lift exhaust. Stock dsm cams also have 248' duration but slightly less lift, .349 intake and .350 exhaust. Are there going to be noticable gains with an additional .037 and .017 lift?

On a side note while on BC's site I was looking at the n/t 4g63 cams. The intake has 256' duration and .365 lift on intake and .349 lift on exhaust. Sounds like a perfect fit right between the stock cams and aftermarket 264's. What are the possibilities of running 2 n/t 4g63 intake cams.

That's interesting that Brian Crower lists the duration as the same for both the EVO cams and the DSM cams. Every other source I've seen lists the EVO cams as 260 advertised duration.

*edit* I see what you mean now about the CAS...if the slot is offset from the original, when you install the CAS so that it fits, it will no longer be lined up at TDC. I'm sure there is an easy work around to this, maybe somebody who has done the install can enlighten us?

Last edited by a moderator:

Myles

Just got my cams yesterday. I don't know what I want to do yet. Is there anyone that has the evo 8 cams on their car right now? For some reason I feel like I'm ginny pigging it.

punisher

evocams.jpg

With the cam lobes lined up, the cas is 90' off. The new cam gears just compensate for the alignment pin being 90' off. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned using parts from an Evo cas.
evocamgears.jpg

The clean ones are the Evo cam gears and the nasty dirty one came out of my old dsm. The dsm timing mark is where the ballpoint pen is, where it should be is where the pencil is, 11 teeth over counterclockwise. Its not quite a full 90' but its close.

Last edited:

3Diamond

Well our CAS'es work on optical interrupt (with exception of blacktops), therefore it would be easy (theoretically) to just open the cas up and offset the optical plate by 90 degrees (or imaging sensors themselves). Or just grab a piece of metal, cut to size of old one and drill new holes?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

There should be a "bolt on" solution to this, shouldn't need to open and modify the CAS. Would like to hear from the couple people in this thread who have done the swap. I don't have a cylinder head and CAS handy to try this, but what if you turned the CAS upside down? Would there be enough adjustment room then to align both the CAS and the cams at TDC? Personally, I'd cut a slot in the end of the EVO intake cam before I'd try modifying the CAS itself. Wouldn't be as easily "bolt on" as first appeared, but wouldn't be very difficult.

3Diamond

Yes; but flipping it solves nothing, that way it would be 90 deg off from the other side; and cutting cams isnt ones idea of fun, escpecially when you consider the hardness of metal; precision required... CAS'es are cheap enough to afford one screw-up, and even then, unless youve destroyed the sensor cradle; they might be recovered. You might want to ask around, but as someone mentioned, i believe that a couple of people have gone via this route.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned