The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 cams?

punisher

The ramp angle doesn't matter. The cams are spinning the correct direction, they are NOT spinning in reverse.

656of1000

Yes, since it was confirmed that the two motors spin the same direction, I wouldn't think ramp angles are even a factor, like punisher has been dilligently saying.

If I'm understanding this correctly (and I think I do) the best way (and safest way) to perform this mod is to swap cam positions from one motor to the other, and cut a notch in the new intake cam for the cas. You should cut a new notch anyway (from the 90* offset) so it might as well be on the proper cam. It still seems a bit unclear whether the differences in exhaust and intake cams are negligable, but like a lot have said, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

This has been a great debate so far, but we still need hard, solid facts from someone who actually did this mod!

I just put my head on the workbench and got my EVO cams out to see how things spin. The sketch I did before was misleading, punisher is right, the cams are still spinning the same direction as before so it doesn't matter which way you install them they will always open the valves with the opening side of the cam lobe. The opening ramp angle will always be opening the valve. So any concern about the ramp angles is pretty much a moot point. The EVO cam may have a bit different angle than the original cams, but as said before its not going to be aggressive enough to stress the valvetrain.

I will try to get some pics of me cutting the new slot in the cam later today and installing them in my head. However, since my motor is far from finished I won't be able to give any performance impressions/data.

punisher

Since you are cutting a new slot anyways, swapping the intake and exhaust cams isn't necessary, you will be able to run them in the correct orientation.

Exactly. I was only going to swap positions if the slot in the EVO exhaust cam would work with my CAS. Since that doesnt work I had decided to just use them in their original positions and cut a slot in the EVO intake cam.

tsiboy

well i have been checking in on this thread for quite a while and so i thought i would just crack open on of my spare 90 style CAS's that i cant even give away.
here it is with the cap off

here it ise at TDC

here it is clocked for the evo cam 90' off

if you get some one to machine you one of these (cough curtis cough)

with the this hole rotated like so 90' then that might work, or even just cutting the remainder of the circle in the center, rotating it 90' and tightening that might work also.

just food for thought

-alex

punisher

Screw it. Im just going to swap plug wires. Wait, damn my car isn't running.

punisher

My set is going in UtahGalant's car at the end of the month. Anyone know of a cheap dyno in SLC? I really want to do a couple comparative pulls while they're in.

I would put them in my gsx, but the engine is currently out and being rebuilt.

Last edited:

i had mine in for about a day but could not get the car to run under 1500rpm i ground down the D shape on the cas disk and spun it around 90 deg but dont think i went the right way and then just got frustrated becouse it seemed no matter where i moved the cas the car ran like crap, so i just bought some fp2x's and tehn broke off a valve and now am rebuilding the motor

Myles

Any word yet? The weather here is getting nice and I still don't know what I should do.

Terry Posten

This is my opinion Myles.

There is too much to risk to try this. A used set of 264s are not that much more and the amount of work needed to do the swap AGAIN is just not worth it.

Your time is too valuable. Do it right the first time and you will be driving your car and not watching it collect dust.

If I would have just built my own motor up in the begining instaed of tring to save a little time and money, I would be driving a KNOWN good car right now.

I had budgeted $2000.00 dollars and spent just a few more when I thought I was done. Then I found out that the crank was bad in my setup. I now have spent almost $1000.00 more fixing this mistake. And it still is not running. And in hind site, for $3000 I could have built a better setup than I have now.

Bottom line - Don't try it. Use proven technology and drive happy.

Remember, Pioneers take all the arrows, Settlers get the land. Who do you want to be?

Quote:
This is my opinion Myles.

There is too much to risk to try this. A used set of 264s are not that much more and the amount of work needed to do the swap AGAIN is just not worth it.

Your time is too valuable. Do it right the first time and you will be driving your car and not watching it collect dust.

If I would have just built my own motor up in the begining instaed of tring to save a little time and money, I would be driving a KNOWN good car right now.

I had budgeted $2000.00 dollars and spent just a few more when I thought I was done. Then I found out that the crank was bad in my setup. I now have spent almost $1000.00 more fixing this mistake. And it still is not running. And in hind site, for $3000 I could have built a better setup than I have now.

Bottom line - Don't try it. Use proven technology and drive happy.

Remember, Pioneers take all the arrows, Settlers get the land. Who do you want to be?

Very well said. I was really considering this option but only if it was a bolt up affair. All the work involved to make it work isn't worth it especially if they aren't much more aggressive than stock.

Myles

Quote:

Terry. I've never heard that but I really like it. I'm already trying to sell them. Otherwise they'll just make a nice paper weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess it was a good idea while it lasted, but doing it the right way is always better than the cheap way.

Just some info I found on this old-ish topic. Not sure if it is correct but it comes from crowers website.

Description
O.E.M.spec2004EvolutionVIIIUSDM
Advertised Duration 256 / 256
Duration @ .050" 182 Lobe 178
198 Valve 194
Gross Lift w/ 1.7 .386" inch .367"
9.80 mm 9.32

O.E.M.specEclipse4G63USDM
Advertised Duration 256 / 256
Duration @ .050" 174 Lobe 165
190 Valve 181
Gross Lift w/ 1.7 .366" inch .343"
9.29 mm 8.71

punisher

I know this is an oldschool topic, but I was wondering if anyone has made any progress. I know people have ran these, I have pics on my desktop of them in a dsm, just no details.

I have really been debating ordering a set of custom ground 272 Evo cams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

nickbuilt

i know this is a really old topic but diid anyone ever get this too work ever???

-nick

Looks like kicking at a dead horse to me. This is a three year old thread. I just read 5 pages. It was like reading a shitty book hoping for an awesome ending. This ending is not awesome.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned