The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8/9 front spindles. (i searched first)

IncorpoRatedX

Ok, I was trying not to post this at the risk of driving up the demand of the evo 8/9 front spindles prior to sorting it out on my own, but screw it.

I've been looking over pictures and considering the possibility of swapping over complete evo 8/9 front spindles, as i will be running all evo brakes soon.

I'm working on getting better pictures of the evo front hub, i might just buy a pair and do all the measurements on them so i can see for myself.

IMG_0257.jpg

jepherz

Staff member
So you're talking about using the lower control arm as well or no? If you are, you'd have to deal with the rear mounting point. If not, I know that the lower ball joing on an evo uses a pinch type fitting, whereas ours uses the tapered style. That's about all I Know. It would be handy if you had evo8 suspension on a galant I suppose.

IncorpoRatedX

no, sorry for the confusion, that was the best picture i found.

not using lower control arm

the ball joint might not matter, i could probably switch to an evo lower ball joint if i wanted. I'll see where this thread goes in the next couple of weeks, then probably buy a set.

any if any of you say 'just use the caliper adapters' im going to punchasize your face, for free.

thecman02

I'm intrigued. If it works I'll drive my car down to your shop to be second one to adopt this setup. haha

IncorpoRatedX

i was just up in your neighborhood last week.

IncorpoRatedX

Don't know, I'll probably just buy one or two and measure them out, see what comes of it.

CutlassJim

It would probably be a better idea to measure the OD of the wheel bearing. That way even if the spline count is different you could just swap in a 1G bearing and hub. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Later cars use a unitized bearing and hub, not the mickey mouse press-in and out hub like GVR4s have. There would be no provision to hold a 1g type bearing in an Evo knuckle.

broxma

I just looked at the spindles on my evo and compared. Looks like the caster on the evo is a bit more than the GVR4 which would push the steering rod mount a bit higher. Both have the steering mount in about the same point which was actually what I thought the problem would be, but apparently not. after a second look I think it may in fact be possible to do this. Clearly the rears are a non starter due to the upper A arm the Evo has versus the spindle/strut mount of the VR4, but the fronts, a definite maybe. The question is, is this just for the brakes? If so, I am seeing a neat concept with high cost for little advantage, however considering my eventual plan to mount the twinscroll Evo turbo on my car, much to the dismay of the crowd, I can sympathize.

/brox

IncorpoRatedX

Tie rod height isn't that huge of a deal, but the caster part might be benificial. We won't know anything particular unless someone is willing to rip one apart or buy one. As for cost, haved you priced the adapter brackets?

broxma

I'm kind of busy the next few days but I can take the front wheel off the Evoz and check the spline count and diameter this weekend. I just had the spindles off a while ago and could have just test fit a spare axle but didn't even cross my mind.

/Brox

gmp

Quoting iceman69510:
Later cars use a unitized bearing and hub, not the mickey mouse press-in and out hub like GVR4s have. There would be no provision to hold a 1g type bearing in an Evo knuckle.

this sounds great if it works out, i could change out a wheel bearning in my ranger in like 10 minutes. The new style bearing/hub are alot more user friendly.

prove_it

what suspension do you have? I only ask because the knuckle is wider where the strut meets the knuckle. Doubt it's a major issue, but just helping you look at all the angles. Also what about the tie rod hole itself, is it the same inner diameter so a GVR4 tie rod would fit tight?

RedTwo

I think the only issue will be which axles you will use. I have a feeling the VR4 axles should fit because Mitsu is a bunch of lazy bastards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gmp

any news on this topic?

The axles arn't even close to fitting.
They are too small and the hole is too big.
I havent got the measurments yet but I can imagine they are like the 3000gt.
Plus the ABS sensor is on the axle like the 3000gt as well.

IncorpoRatedX

I got a brake caliper, trying to source a spindle. Hoping I can safely frankenstein parts from both vehicles to ensure the axles fit and the caliper bolts up. I found spindles on evom for $50-70 but this is low priority on my list of things to do. My 01 montero needs a transmission asap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned