The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO 8/ 9/ 10 coilovers

KT

Quoting fuel:
Quoting Street Surgeon:
Guys.....

All this talk of welding, staaaahp.

Buy some evo 8/9 coilovers, use these adapters, done.

Doesn't the 3s have a larger ID for the rear bushing though? They would work if you were running 3s rear trailing arms though

Yes, this is true. I had my Teins rebuilt and they put the 3s bushing in and had to redo it.

G

Staff member
You would just have to find the correct male rod end to fit. click
If you want I could send one of my ends in to aurora and have them match it up. The end on mine have a rubber bushing inside and a shroud. I've been trying to communicate with jic japan to try and get the part number and cost for the e39a specific rod end but no luck. I actually am going to sell the evo 8 jic's for $800 I posted pics of. Was going to try and get the correct rod end first.

Last edited:

coyotes

Is there a metal sleeve that could fit inside the stock rod end to make it fit? They would fit up on top though?

Do yours have damping adjustability? Camber plates?

G

Staff member
No man, i'm talking about these:

5v5w.jpg

Yes they have all pictured.

coyotes

Sorry,

I thought the images above of the new ones in the boxes were yours. Those have a different mount on the bottom. Are those the ones for the FWD 3kgt?

I would be interested in buying yours if they were new.

disclaimer: I'm gonna be asking a lot of dumb questions as I learn GVR4s. Talk to me about turbo RWD volvos or Nissan 240sx and I'm practically an encyclopedia.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
No the used ones are evo8 and just need the correct male end installed to work on a vr4. The ones in the box are mine with the correct male end and are not for sale. The ones outside the box are fs by jic for $1100 and are for a fwd 3kgt and already have the correct male end.

coyotes

how many miles are on those used JICs, and which type are they?

It seems the 3000gt ones on clearance are the FLT-TAR, which are pretty pimp coil overs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif These would bolt right into a Galant VR4 with no modification necessary?

Last edited:

turbowop

I suggest just getting some BC's from bobdole. The stock JIC's ain't that great, and not worth the hassle, IMO. The BC's are probably just as good and bolt right up. Or grab a set of Hotbits for a little more money.

I don't think any of the off-the-shelf coilovers are valved right unless you spend big dollars on some Ohlins. Hotbits are probably the best you'll find for the money. I got lucky finding the used Muellerized JIC's I have. If the were just off-the-shelf FLT2a's, I wouldn't have picked them up.

GSTwithPSI

So what's the deal with your Muellerized JIC's? Are the springs a custom rate? I only ask because they look just like the normal FLT2a springs. And the valving is set up for a 1G DSM right?

I'm interested because the ride quality in 1837 is absolute sh*t. It handles great, but rides like a log truck. I haven't looked much into messing with the setup yet, but assumed the ride probably wouldn't improve much no matter the setting. I guess my question is, how much improvement does a Muellerized set of JIC's set up for a 1G offer over the off the shelf JIC when installed on a VR4? Is the setup from 1G to VR4 close enough to translate over to the VR4 platform? How much more streetable are these over a stock set? And did you notice performance benefits as well as streetability improvements?

Last edited:

turbowop

Since Mueller doesn't share his secret sauce regarding spring rates and valving I can't tell you exactly. They are JIC springs, but the markings are gone, so I have no idea what the rates are. Perhaps a call to him could shed light on this.

From what I've heard from people that ran the off-the-shelf versions, they ride much like my old Tein HA's, which were bone jarring. The JIC's on my car now are much better behaved on city streets and country roads. Makes the car much more streetable. I had also heard about issues with the stock JIC's having issues with blown seals. There have even been a couple sets go through the forsale section here with blown dampers. This is why I wouldn't have given up my Teins for what would be a sidestep into something I don't feel is any better. Knowing Mueller's reputation, I figured these would be better than off-the-shelf and from what I can tell, they are.

As far as handling goes, I don't really have much to compare to other than fast twisties on country roads, but like I said, they are much better in that regard. They handled awesome at the autocross during IMSCC. I just can't compare them to my Teins since I hadn't autocrossed for like ten years.

I also like that if anything does happen with seals, or they just need freshened up, I can send them off to Mueller and have them rebuilt.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting Street Surgeon:
Guys.....

That is actually a great idea! I assume the front is the same for the GVR-4/DSM and 3000GT? The rear will be an issue as mentioned that the rear eye is a different size than that of the 3KGT. The kit is priced very well

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting KT:
Quoting fuel:
Quoting Street Surgeon:
Guys.....

Doesn't the 3s have a larger ID for the rear bushing though? They would work if you were running 3s rear trailing arms though

Yes, this is true. I had my Teins rebuilt and they put the 3s bushing in and had to redo it.

How did you resolve the issue or did you send them back?
Was it just replacing the bushing?

coyotes

Quoting turbowop:
I suggest just getting some BC's from bobdole.

My most likely course of action

G

Staff member
Did the seller give you proof they were muellerized? You have the OG 8k / 6k springs that came with them (purple). Muellerized are gray springs.

Here is a pic of the ends side by side. Note the e39a unit has a rubber bushing inside and has the metal sleeve to offset the mounting position. The thread is the same. Looks like m21 x 1.5. Center hole size is m20. So if you can find a metric ptfe spherical rod end your golden.

IMG_8627.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

Quoting turbowop:
Since Mueller doesn't share his secret sauce regarding spring rates and valving I can't tell you exactly. They are JIC springs, but the markings are gone, so I have no idea what the rates are. Perhaps a call to him could shed light on this.

From what I've heard from people that ran the off-the-shelf versions, they ride much like my old Tein HA's, which were bone jarring. The JIC's on my car now are much better behaved on city streets and country roads. Makes the car much more streetable. I had also heard about issues with the stock JIC's having issues with blown seals. There have even been a couple sets go through the forsale section here with blown dampers. This is why I wouldn't have given up my Teins for what would be a sidestep into something I don't feel is any better. Knowing Mueller's reputation, I figured these would be better than off-the-shelf and from what I can tell, they are.

As far as handling goes, I don't really have much to compare to other than fast twisties on country roads, but like I said, they are much better in that regard. They handled awesome at the autocross during IMSCC. I just can't compare them to my Teins since I hadn't autocrossed for like ten years.

I also like that if anything does happen with seals, or they just need freshened up, I can send them off to Mueller and have them rebuilt.

Last edited:

turbowop

The guy I purchased them from is reputable and is the guy that owns the car that Mueller used to test his DSM Ohlins setup, which is the car that my JICs came off of. They were set up on his car by Mueller himself since he's local. Even had the lower front bracket holes modified to provide more possible negative camber if needed, so they're definitely not stock. The only reason he sold them was to upgrade to the new Muellerized Ohlins.

I'm not really sure what to tell you regarding spring color. I've seen purple and grey springs come on JICs from the factory. They used purple back in the day and from what I've seen, grey in more recent times for newer cars like the Evo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe he kept the stock spring rates and changed only the damping. Or maybe back then other spring rates also came in purple. I'm not really sure.They certainly don't ride like the typical stiff Japanese spring coilover setup though.

G

Staff member
Another option is the kw's for evo 8/ 9. The bottoms are not threaded but for the guys who insist on welding they would be easier to mod/ weld.

image.jpg

G

Staff member
From the pic the 3s looks smaller. The e39a is 20mm.

Quoting fuel:
Quoting Street Surgeon:
Guys.....

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting turbowop:
The guy I purchased them from is reputable and is the guy that owns the car that Mueller used to test his DSM Ohlins setup, which is the car that my JICs came off of. They were set up on his car by Mueller himself since he's local. Even had the lower front bracket holes modified to provide more possible negative camber if needed, so they're definitely not stock. The only reason he sold them was to upgrade to the new Muellerized Ohlins.

I'm not really sure what to tell you regarding spring color. I've seen purple and grey springs come on JICs from the factory. They used purple back in the day and from what I've seen, grey in more recent times for newer cars like the Evo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe he kept the stock spring rates and changed only the damping. Or maybe back then other spring rates also came in purple. I'm not really sure.They certainly don't ride like the typical stiff Japanese spring coilover setup though.

I know for a fact that you have the Muellerized JIC's. No doubt. I also had Muellerized JIC's in the 2g I had before and I don't recall the springs being gray. I believe they would just have custom rates from, JIC along with the dampening changes

prove_it

Thanks for all the info G. Nice thing about the KW and JIC's is that if you do weld, the area being welded can be protected very well. Way easier to keep the heat from the shock body.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned