The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Esc pod

dsmtalontsi95

So I am going to try to make this work and look stock. My dash has seperated from the foam at the spot where the ECS pod goes so I figure lets try something to fill it and place gauges. I got the idea from other members who have done this as well. The gauges that I'm going to put in are not the ones I'm using to mock it up. They will more then likely be oil pressure and AEM wideband. That could change though. So here's the plan.

Dash

Pod

Under pod

Pod on the dash

Pod with gauges on the dash

Now with the gauges in the pod, they press on the lower bar of the pod causing it to bow. I'm hoping I can slightly trim the foam to allow the bar to keep straight.

I'm taking the setup to work to see what me and a few of the engineers at work can come up with. I want to fill the pod in the front and sides of the gauges so you can't see the white of the gauges. It looks like we will need to bring a meterial out flush with the edge of the pod. Depending what we come up with I may even try to turn the gauges slightly to the driver but I think it may look bad.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

If you do this properly and make a plate to recess the gauge properly, it can come out fairly slick. I used SPA digital gauges which have the readout in the centre. If you use analog gauges, you can get some cutoff if you mount them this high. Now before we go any further, it has to be said that you have to be committed to using this pod if you decide to fit it because once the dash is modified, it's a non reversible process. If you want to make it fit this well you are going to need to cut up the dash (the reasons for which are explained below). However if you do decide to cut up the dash, there is nothing to stop you recessing the gauges lower and tilting them back so that the faces are clearly visible.

Now, let's get down to the installation and some of the things you need to be aware of; first take a good look at the third picture. If you recess the gauges properly, because of the angle that they sit at, the area under the gauges (that little dash pocket in your USDM dash) is not deep enough. You have to cut out the bottom of that area or two pieces of it to recess the gauges into it so that the pod sits flush.

Secondly, if you cut away the vinyl at the edges of that recess you will uncover small holes that the bottom frame of the ECS pod can clip into. In the pictures above I did not use the frame because the pod I bought didn't have it (only the top cover). I will do another pod for my daily VR4 and I will endeavour to use the bottom frame to clip that one in. Either way works but both require cutting of the dash. The method I used for attaching my pod above was easy BUT my dash was out at the time. It would be difficult to use that method with the dash in the car. If you don't want to remove your dash, the clip in frame is the way to go.

Thirdly you will need to cut holes to route the wiring to the sensors.

I had no issues doing this because both my JDM cars had flip up pockets at that location in the dash and both were FUBAR. Removing the broken lids left a pocket/recess similar to yours but with exposed foam and holes etc (generally unattractive). The pod in comparison looked much better so hacking up that area under the pod was not an issue for me. You might be less willing to start doing the same to a virgin dash. That said if you do it properly once the pod is installed you won't see any of that and it will look factory. You'll just never be able to use the dash without the pod again.

If you want it to be reversible you would have to attach the pod with velcro. In this case it won't sit flush, you would need to run the wires over the dash and it would in my opinion look crap.

Bottom line, think hard about if you want to do this and if you do, cut the dash, do it properly and don't look back.

Paul.

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

Isaw that thread, I wanted to try to get the gauges out farthure and that mean they have to come in from the front.

cheekychimp

In that case I would be inclined to do something similar to the plate that I made but mount some gauge cups in the holes and secure them from behind with adhesive or black sealant, something along the lines of how I mounted mine in the A/C holes: -

Edit: In addition, something else did cross my mind here. If you are having issues because that bottom bar bows when you actually try to put the gauges in there, then I really think you need to work out how you want to attach the pod to the dash and if you want to cut the dash at all or not. You already have those two locating tabs at the back so you will need to cut the vinyl to reveal the mounting holes for those, plus you are going to need to make some sort of hole to route wires. If you are doing all that, I would seriously try to find or buy the lower half of that ESC pod and modify it for your purposes. It comes with two strong spring clips that locate in little holes at the front of the dash pocket which can be revealed with a little trimming. The pod snaps down into place and then that bottom bar piece is supported by the underlying Bakelite, resin, plastic frame of the dash. It will hold its shape. If you try to do anything less and secure the pod with Velcro, double sided tape etc, when you put the gauges in the edges will bow up and leave a gap all around which isn't going to look good. You can secure the pod without that bracket but it is a far more labour intensive solution and requires a fair bit of butchering of the dash to install the cross piece to bolt the pod down onto. I did an entire write-up but it would appear that it has been deleted due to age. Yes I have been building my car that long LOL.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned