The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine rebuild

Barnes

Zak, you should also mention there is a special trick for removing the t-case withotu draining the fluid.

After removing the five bolts, pull the t-case off the transmission. The whole time during this part make sure the t-case doesn't come off the drive shaft. After the t-case is off the transmission, set the front part down on the ground while lifting the rear portion that is attached to the driveshaft. Now with the rear of the t-case in the air, you can pull it off the driveshaft. Just make sure you keep the rear of the t-case up, and fluid won't drain out. If you lower the rear of the t-case, the fluid will spill out!!!

finally had time to post pics of my new engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif and used 16g turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I know this is unrelated to the title of this thread but are there any other cars i can get half shafts off of that will work for the front because both of mine are f***** beyond repair

boostedinaz

Like the boot is trashed or the actual axle or CV is junk?

If it's just the boot here is how to clean and replace them.

Repair CV

I know how to replace the rubber boots but the cvs are shaddered on the ends that bolts to the wheel hub. The balls and cage are all crushed and in pieces and the cv joint thats right before the hub are broke off on both sides

this is the driver side and all this happened because if u look at the picture below the bracket for holding the shaft up was held in by one bolt and wasnt even torqued down and the other bolt is snapted off clean

and the driver side the end of the shaft
is broken off

boostedinaz

Wow! You can get some from a 1G DSM as long as it is AWD.

Any reconmendations on what i should do with my cylinder head. Should i send it out to be checked or what?

Okayplayer

Getting your cylinder head checked and decked would be wise. It would suck to go through all the trouble of a rebuild then have a head gasket failure due to a warped head. I'd play it safe and have it checked out.

verry little progress spend most of my time cleaning 21 years of dirt and grime but ile tell u what this tool has been my best friend

it doesnt get everywhere but close enough

boostedinaz

Simple Green and a tooth brush can get into a lot of little places. I used that to clean my motor and it worked great, time consuming, but well worth it in the end.

simple green never heard of it i been buying a crap load of engine cleaner but its getting expensive its like 3-4 $ a can. i wish i had my old dishwasher i i modded it to be a parts washer but the solvents ate it up like no other

boostedinaz

Any Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware etc will have it. You can buy it by the gallon or in spray bottles. I bought a combo pack of gallon and spray bottle for like 12 bucks and still have a little left after cleaning EVERYTHING on my motor.

so i have a question i hope some one can answer. on my old engine the oil cooler goes on before the oil filter and on the new engine there are blue hook ups for the oil cooler would i just run lines from those to a oil cooler and mount it where my condenser used to be. i know some trucks have trans coolers would i use the same type of setup?
img.php
this is also a long shot and probly a bad idea but could i use my old condenser as a oil cooler or is that just a stupid idea because it could handel the pressure. idk whats ur oppinion

boostedinaz

The oil filter housing (OFH) on the motor in the picture is from a 90 DSM. Most people switch over to those so they can plumb and external oil cooler on the car for better cooling.

I would not suggest using the condensor as a cooler simply based on size. It would be HUGE and might actually keep the oil to cold to really work well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned